Super STOL demonstrator crash

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
alan
Veteran Member

Super STOL demonstrator crash

Post by alan »

I just read an article on Avweb detailing the company's green SS. Water in the fuel led to a total loss of power resulting in a crash. The aircraft was totally destroyed but Troy and a passenger are ok. I was so happy to hear that last part.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Re: Super STOL demonstrator crash

Post by HS-JAT »

Glad they are ok!
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Bummer...Good to hear they made it out OK . I've also been a victim of water in the fuel (lost partial power on takeoff but had enough to limp back). That's why I use a gascolator rather than an inline filter.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Here's a link to that AvWeb article: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Wa ... 673-1.html.

I looked at that picture and couldn't imagine what that airplane would have looked like if it was made of sheet metal. These Just airplanes have certainly proven to be crashworthy. I like that there's a strong possibility not just of survival, but of minimal or even no injuries.

The designs benefit from constant testing and development. Troy and Gary are actively flying practically every day. They're not once-a-week pilots or desktop designers; they're pushing the planes hard practically every flight. The factory airstrip and their home airstrips are challenging or impossible for most airplanes, but these guys make 'em look easy, several times a day. Add input from Steve Henry, who takes his planes in and out of amazing spots, and who places high in the standings in STOL competitions with a Highlander and a SuperSTOL built not for competition, but for everyday flying. Then add input from the rest of us.

We wind up with designs that have tremendous capability, and the knowledge that we can screw things up and still fly home, or screw them up badly and still climb out.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

How they both could walk away from that is a testament of the planes safety! Amazing!
Water in the fuel is bad news. Once it's in those carbs, it's so hard to clear out.
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

I really think that the Richard Holtz post is so right on. I thank him for the post. I spent quite a bit of time at JA building my plane with the help of the JA folks. Troy and Gary really care about their customers. I saw it time and time again. Love these guys!
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET

Return to “Just Aircraft”