Another Wreck

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Another Wreck

Post by kenryan »

Apparently there was another wreck, thankfully with no injuries. From the sounds of it, it may have been a broken Heim on the gear. Anybody know anything? Was it indeed the Heim? Was it a 3/8 or a 7/16?

The incident took place at the Hunter Valley Airshow in Australia. Here's a link to a news story (short video):

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/2015/07/05/hu ... es-crowds/
Super Stol Kit #299
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Re: Another Wreck

Post by SuperFly »

Certainly don't want to speak with any authority, hopefully someone with direct knowledge will post, but here is a picture I found. Doesn't appear to be mechanical failure that caused it. Looks to be wind gust or wake turbulence or something caught pilot by surprise. If heim broke, looks to me that it was not causal, but a result of side load force.

Again, not speaking as an authority, and I am about as far away from the incedent as I can be, and still be on this planet, just looking for the facts. As in all aviation, facts are paramount to everyones safety.
SS Austrailia.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

The narrator in the news story says that a "bolt broke on the undercarriage" which is what makes me think it may have been a Heim.
Super Stol Kit #299
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Maybe he is trying to land on a broken heim???
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

From the looks of that picture I would think he he just basically crashed it and who knows what damage couldn't happened then. I don't know that for a fact, that's just my guess from looking at the picture. The news people usually have no clue what they are talking about and write down anything that anybody says regardless of the facts. I really believe that their first priority is to make as big exciting of a story as they can regardless of what the truth is.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
highlander nz

Post by highlander nz »

This is what I know of the event. Brent was demonstrating at an air show that was held over two days. On the first day a stiff wind was present and he was basically hovering the super STOL. On the second day he was attempting the same trick when either a wind shift or a drop of wind caused the super STOL to Stall at about 50ft AGL. These machines will stall. Brent is an accomplished and capable pilot who done very well to recover the aircraft and walk away with no injuries and minimal damage to the machine. The accident was nothing to do with a mechanical fault and the broken bolt or what ever, and was simply due to the extremely hard impact. Troy's mishap is far more dramatic and once again both Troy and his Passenger walked away with hardly a scratch yet the machine is wrecked. I am starting to think that in a crisis these Super STOL's are as close to bullet proof as a fixed wing gets.
Best
John
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Yeah Steve. I can agree with you about the news.

Back when W was President a G500 was landing at Ellington Field in Houston with the intention of picking up his father, H.W. It crashed while on final. The news reported the cause of the crash as contact with a light pole on the I-610 loop, around 10 miles north west of the airport.

Must of been a really tall light pole.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

The news media outlets stopped reporting the news,
several years ago.
They are now in the business of making the news.

I am glad the pilot wasn't hurt!

John

taildrgfun wrote:From the looks of that picture I would think he he just basically crashed it and who knows what damage couldn't happened then. I don't know that for a fact, that's just my guess from looking at the picture. The news people usually have no clue what they are talking about and write down anything that anybody says regardless of the facts. I really believe that their first priority is to make as big exciting of a story as they can regardless of what the truth is.
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

My concern what will this do to the insurance cost? I hope the pilot wasn't injured.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

I've been flying my SuperSTOL for nine months now. Originally I wasn't going to get $80,000 "hull" insurance until it was suggested that I get it for at least the first year. Since I'm an old fart I will drop the "hull" insurance next year. If I do something stupid and bend it up, I'll have a nice lawn ornament/ conversation piece and provide input how long Oratex 6000 lasts with continuous sun exposure on the eastern edge of fly-over country. This is a fantastic aircraft. I got exactly what I wanted when I built this beast . . .
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET

Return to “Just Aircraft”