Phase 1 Flight Plan

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Re: Phase 1 Flight Plan

Post by Chief »

No spoilers. Just realized where I had seen the V speeds - their in the POH. I'm pretty much ready to go - just need the registration card from FAA, an Airworthiness Certificate and a clear, no or low wind day. Putting my engine hours on by just taxing. After 35 months of building, I'd like to be flying this plane around Virginia by October.
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Chief,

Some Highlander speeds on my checklist from the POH. Like you stated these are a staring point and every aircraft will vary.
PRE FLIGHT & AIRCRAFT CHECKLIST.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Just one additional data point on the VG's. I was going to do the same as you and add them sometime during phase one. After going down to Vic and Billy's for transition training they convinced me to just add them before the first flight. The planes I trained in all had them on.

Mine are also on the wings and the underside of the horizontal stab.

Have fun on your first flight
Gary
IMG_1304.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
accent air
Seasoned Member

Post by accent air »

I really think it is best to keep the VGs off for the first 50hrs I really got to know how much they improve performance by adding them later.
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

The guys that taught me how to fly it recommended them from day one. Since they have 100's of hours I thought it was better to take their advice. Their point was exactly what you said. "I really got to know how much they improve performance"

They asked me why I wouldn't want the better performance from day one, especially the slow speed handling in the flair.

Do what ever your comfortable with and enjoy phase one.

Gary
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Gary,

Billy and Vic told me the same thing and I followed their advice. When I came back home I put the VGs on before my test flight.

Jack
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Got my airworthiness certificate last week. Waiting for the weather to cooperate for first flight.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Looks great! Are those struts on the tail rather than flying wires? They look different in your photo.

Fred
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

And another question: is that seam on the left side a cargo door?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Instead of flying wires, I used rods. Obviously, their strength is with both push and pull forces. They are adjustable - double locking nuts on each end.

Yes, the seam is the piano hinge for a four foot cargo door which opens all the way down for easy cargo space access. It locks with three keyed locks spaced along the top of tye door. Attached is a pic of the cargo door during painting process, and another from the righ side cockpit door looking at the inside. I take some better pics; several folks have asked how the cargo door turned out.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Attached are a few more pics some may be interested in. The panel contains a Dynon FlightDec 180 and a mounted (but removable) Garnin 795. There is also a better pic of the exterior of the cargo door. I also added a step to the trailing edge of the rear gear strut.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

I've flown off 24 of my 40 Phase 1 hours as of this afternoon. So far, the the flight plan has been successful with absolutely no surprises (except perhaps this plane handles even better than I had hoped)
image.jpeg
. This week is forcast to be clear with low winds. I should have Phase I testing completed by early next week.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Chief,
The plane looks great, good luck with the balance of phase one.

Gary
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Thanks Gary, and thanks for the help.

Return to “Just Aircraft”