Switching from nose to tailwheel

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Jim Cantrell

Switching from nose to tailwheel

Post by Jim Cantrell »

I am planning to switch a nosewheel configured Highlander into a tailwheel. I have the original factor 6" (small) main wheels. I know I can use these as the new mains but I would like to upgrade to something stronger.

I think the factory still has the originally shipped highlander main gear legs and an extended version (not the SS gear legs).

Are there any other main gear alternatives for a Highlander ?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Switching from nose to tailwheel

Post by danerazz »

There is the 3-leg and taller "extreme" gear from the factory, and I have seen a couple with Grove aluminum gear on them.

I believe you can just turn the mains around (backwards from what they are now) and move them to the most forward fuselage mounting position and be done. There are a lot of tires for the 6" wheels, up to and including the 29" air streaks. I would stick with them unless you want the 8" with the Matco (I think) tundra tires. Desser tire has some low cost tundra tires for the 6" rims.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Jim Cantrell

Post by Jim Cantrell »

thanks for that info.

It is an option to use the existing small gear but I would like to upgrade to a stronger set. We broke one of the mains on a hard landing once (replaced that one). I also saw a 6' wheel break off on another landing (different airplane). the axle broke in that case. On ours, the bolt that goes through the axle tore the metal on the gear leg. Neither incident hurt the airplanes but now I don't trust the small gear.

I will check out the Grove gear and what the factory has. thanks again.

Jim
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

I have a nearly new iron design tailwheel for a decent price if you need one, call me 9542352527 if you are interested.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Jim Cantrell wrote:... On ours, the bolt that goes through the axle tore the metal on the gear leg. Neither incident hurt the airplanes but now I don't trust the small gear.
Jim, are you flying with the original Escapade-style gear, or is it the upgraded version currently shipping?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Jim Cantrell

Post by Jim Cantrell »

I have the old escapade style gear.
Jim Cantrell

Post by Jim Cantrell »

i have the old escapade gear

Return to “Just Aircraft”