Highlander Rotax Oil Can Installation

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Highlander Rotax Oil Can Installation

Post by jjacky »

Hi Guys I'm in the process of installing the Rotax 912 Oil "Can" against the Highlander firewall. It is a very tight fit. Even with the "can" as high as it will go it just barely clears the the rear generator cover and one off it's attachment bolts. On the other side it interferes with the carburetor air filter. I can barely clear stuff if I tilt the "can" counterclockwise but I'll bet you all have "been there, done that" and know a better solution than a crooked can. Any photos you have of the Highlander / Rotax engine installation would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks!
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander Rotax Oil Can Installation

Post by gkremers »

It is a very tight fit but it does work. If you mount it on the firewall you'll need to remove the black plastic cover on the rear of the engine. I've enclosed some pics to give you an idea of how/where I mounted mine. The mounting bracket was the first thing I located, everything else on the firewall can be located after that. You have plenty of clearance from the left air filter. It is very tight from the outlet of the expansion tank to the oil tank. I put an extra sleeve over the coolant hose were it bends 90 degrees down near the tank to protect it from rubbing. Let me know if you need any additional pics. I can remove my cowl and take a couple more if it helps.

The pics are all during the install.

Gary
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Most folks mount their reservoir as Gary has. I didn't like the idea of removing the generator cover at all. Rotax put it on there for a reason. Fortunately, I saw a one mounted on the right side between the cowl and the carb while at Sun&Fun in 2006. Lockwood sold me their mounting bracket and I attached it to the motor mount with Adel clamps. Over 9 years and 650 hours have passed with no issues.

I don't have any photos with me but I'll post a couple in a day or so.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Fantastic..Thanks Guys! Great Photographs. At the next fly in I'm able to attend I'm going to bring a good camera and, with the owners permission, shoot every square inch of every bird there, inside and out, and post it here. Thanks Again.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

The 912 that I had in my PulsarXP didn't come with a cover back in 1996 and I never had an issue. Rotax has made many modifications since then.That said if I could have left it on I would have.

Gary
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

You can get the generator cover to fit. The way I did it was to put the cover in the oven at I believe 250 degrees and then take a beer can and make a depression in it where it would touch the can while its a bit soft and it will clear the oil can. It's been a few years since I did that so you might check with Troy and see if he has the correct beer can and generator technical engineering data to accomplish this. That temperature could be wrong. If it's too hot the cover could look like something that got thrown out of the back door of a pizza place. But I am glad that I got the cover to fit. It looks much better covered up and probably keeps it a little cleaner. Just mark it where you're going to apply the pressure and have at it.

Gil T
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

I just took a closer look at your pictures and noticed a difference from mine. I cut a small slot in the firewall where the top of the oil can rubs it which is just above the tubing behind the firewall and sealed it up after I installed the oil tank. You could probably indent it without having to cut a slot there with a little careful work. If you're interested I will take a couple of pictures and post them for you.

Gil T
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Germain,

Here is how I did it. I initially made a slot for the clamp ring to recess into, but them realized i would have to seal it up with caulk of some sort, and then break that seal if ever needed into the tank. I decided to fold up a recess cover to allow room for the tank to sit flush against the firewall. I used angle aluminum bolted to the firewall to cradle the tank sides, and then band clamps to fasten. I did heat and form the plastic cover on the engine for extra clearance. I now have about 1/4" of space between the tank and the engine. I used a fireproof sealant to seal the corners of the recess cover.
tank recess 1.jpg
tank recess 2.jpg
tank recess 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

009.JPG
010.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
Here is some pictures of what I have. I used a couple of angle brackets to position the can. I can see the way your pictures show is a saddle bolted to the firewall to hold the can in position. This could add to the depth of the installation which is pretty critical. As you can see it is a pretty tight installation, however I probably have a quarter to three eights inch gap between the can and the generator cover.

Gil T
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

I cut the slot in the firewall as
shown above, but I used a stainless
steel dog bowl to enclose it inside.
It helped stiffen the area, as well.

I also left off the generator cover.

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Man I love this Forum...you guys are the greatest...Thanks One and All!
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Image of the Dog Bowl mod...

Later!

John

jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Thanks for the pictures all! Gary in your pictures there is a small container of fluid high on the starboard side of you firewall. What is that?...just curious...Thanks...j
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

It looks like a brake fluid reservoir, to me.

John
jjacky wrote:Thanks for the pictures all! Gary in your pictures there is a small container of fluid high on the starboard side of you firewall. What is that?...just curious...Thanks...j

gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

John is correct, brake fluid. When I ordered my kit I had them switch out the master cylinders. I hate the ones that have the reservoir built in.

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”