Cabin Heaters Anyone?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Re: Cabin Heaters Anyone?

Post by jjacky »

Here's a heater for a liquid cooled experimental :

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/heaters/liquidheater.htm

Looks pretty cool...I mean Hot!

Scuba raider I still like yours but could not find it....it looks like it wouldn't be that hard to build...j
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I have a heater core with 2 computer fans blowing through it that works pretty well but it is nowhere 10 lbs. I couldn't stand to add 10 lbs for a heater.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Heater core 2.jpg
Found this oil cooler with fan, going to use it for cabin heat in my rotary engine RV7. Weighs 1.9lbs with fan, measures 4"w x 6"l x 4"d, cost about $145 shipped to your door. I was very happy with the quality of the product as well.

Best,
Ben Schneider
currently building RV7, trying to finish it so I can start a Highlander!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
GDS
Seasoned Member

Seat Heater

Post by GDS »

I brought this topic back because I've got the heater kit for my Highlander but not sure if it will be enough.

Does anyone have any experience with electric seat heaters like these? http://www.checkcorp.com/seat-heater/seat-heaters.asp

An obvious concern is power. I pulled this from the FAQs on their website:
"HOW MUCH POWER DOES THE AVERAGE CHECK SEAT HEATER SYSTEM CONSUME?

3 to 5 Amps. At 13.8 VDC or 41 to 69 Watts
."

Electrical systems are my weakest skill, but it seems like it would be manageable with a Rotax 912 electrical system, although may have to be selective if both seat heaters were cranked to full power.

Thanks, GDS
Big Bear Lake, CA
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

I don't know if it is good-bad helpful or etc., but the local mechanic said these were used with good results on Rotax-fitted birds: http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg51wc.pdf

k
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

OK I'm really going back to the past now but I've hit another crossroad and I need some help from my friends. My Highlander is a tricycle with a Rotax 912 and a Toucan exhaust system. The Toucan system has two mufflers. Each has a Muff to provide cabin heat. I have several ways to go here and need your recommendations.
My options include:
1. Since I already have a Just aircraft heater kit I could just install it on one muffler .. Incidentally thanks for your great pictures.
2.Or I could run both muffs into a Tee and into a single duct ...or would the muffs more or less cancel each other out at the tee. Maybe a blower would help.
3 Or I could get another airflow director , some more scat tubing, and run the muffs independently to either side of the aircraft
(I thought "Scat" was a trail of animal poop)
4. Or if you don't like the system that much I could go with a radiator core, antifreeze from the engine, blower, etc. ...the expensive solution.

So...Thoughts?

P.S. iIn former posts there was discussion about stuffing the muffs with stainless steel scrub pads to improve heat transfer.
In his book "Firewall Forward" Tony Bengalis, a kit builder God, recommends wrapping the mufflers with screen door spring. Hot idea!
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I went the radiator core with a blower route. Never, never regret it during winter flying. Especially when taking my wife up. I get the awwwwwww statement when I turn it on. :mrgreen:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

scubarider2 wrote:I went the radiator core with a blower route. Never, never regret it during winter flying. Especially when taking my wife up. I get the awwwwwww statement when I turn it on. :mrgreen:
Dennis
What parts did you choose (heater, fan, tees, valve, switch)? How did you plumb it? Any pictures?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

scubarider2 wrote:I went the radiator core with a blower route. Never, never regret it during winter flying. Especially when taking my wife up. I get the awwwwwww statement when I turn it on. :mrgreen:
Dennis
Hmmm... Dennis, no disrespect intended but does winter flying in Georgia really count as winter flying?
I live in Minnesota and I'm considering installing a wood burning stove in my Highlander. Or maybe I should just spend Nov - April with you in the south.

Cheers from the frozen north.

Dan Kretchmer
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Dan,
You beat me to it LOL

I find the stock heater OK down to about 15F or so. I do have a heated vest, that helps a lot. Michigan winters can be cold and snowy, especially by the lake. Should be able to put the skis on in another month or so. The biggest cold air leak I found was near the rear spar and flap closeout. Made some plugs and its 90% better.

Gary
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

HAHAHAHAHAHA....yep it is all relative. I do live in the North Georgia Mountains so elevation does play a part but NO comparison to what you guys deal with. :shock:
I will have to go back and look to see if I have some clear pictures. I remember I got it off of Barnstormers as one fan unit. I put a switch on the panel and just flip the fan on. Was a bit tricky plumbing it to the radiator though. I mounted the fan under the panel inside. It will slap run you out even with the many air leaks around the doors. :mrgreen:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Found a picture. :mrgreen:
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

Found a link to the heater Dennis has installed in his aircraft. No price listed on the page, you'll have to give them a call.

http://sheertechnologies.net/Heater/index.html

Dan
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Because I live in Wisconsin where it gets cold enough to drive your car on frozen lakes, and I really enjoy ski flying, my new Highlander will have both 2 heat muffs off exhaust, a large heater core with fans, and will be well insulated along with an insulated cover that closes off the baggage / tail area. I flew an Avid on skis once where the guy had bofh exhaust muff heaters and a heater core (he used the heat muff pressurized air through the heater core rather than using fans). It made so much heat it had to be turned down any time the oat was above zeo Faherenheit. It was so impressive that I decided on my next plane I'm going to have both heat systems like his, but with additional insulation. My wife will want to go along more.

Also worth mentioning, I discovered on E Bay a variety of ready to install coolant type heater kits are available for recreational vehicle UTVs like Ranger, Mules, Razors, etc.

Weight addition? Who cares, I'll go on a small diet to offset it :mrgreen:
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

Hi Guys

Well,it must be getting cold again since some of us seem to think we should be warm like lying in front of a fireplace with a few logs burning and a glass of our favorite beverage at hand. But the bad news is it ain't going to happen in a Highlander. The first thing to do is look around you and you will notice an acre of lexan and VERY thin fabric between you and the outside. So much for dipping myself into this conversation. Now I will tell you just from my own observation how I have stayed warm. First I have spent 15 years flying in interior Alaska freezing in a Super Cub counting moose at -35 to being toasty warm at 250 in a King Air at who knows what temperature since I was warm and comfy. There are some pictures of my setup in page one of this thread. I have found my dual Toucan setup more than adequate for my feet. If I can keep my feet warm the rest is keeping the air leaks to a minimum and proper clothing. For air leaks I take a half inch roll of weather stripping and use as needed. When it warms up just peal it off and your ready for Spring. I know some of you have some very nicely fitted doors and windows. Mine are probably not as tight as they could be but I'm not going to re-engineer them when weather stripping is so cheap. By the time its down to the single digits we're talking snow pants, insulated everything and preheating and a bunch more stuff. Now I know why old people move to Arizona. So much for my comments for the day. Just remember KISS.

Gil T

Return to “Just Aircraft”