Aileron Balance ?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
marl59
Seasoned Member

Aileron Balance ?

Post by marl59 »

Hi Guys,
I'm a new Highlander owner and new to this forum. Ive been looking through it a bit and have already learned some good stuff, thank you! I have a Bonanza and in the fast airplane certificated world all of your control surfaces have to be balanced, i.e. weigh the same. When I purchased my Highlander, the previous owner had damaged then repaired the right aileron and wing tip. The repair looks well done but they left the white primer on half the aileron. The plane is yellow and blue. I have some of the original single stage paint and I want to paint the aileron. Top speed in my plane with the current prop and 29" tires is 80MPH. Do I need to balance the ailerons? Your input will really help. Thanks!
barry767
Seasoned Member

Re: Aileron Balance ?

Post by barry767 »

Ok, I'll take this one. I don't remember anything in the Highlander construction manual about balancing the ailerons so I didn't and mine flys just fine. Your top speed of 80 mph sounds low to me.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

And Cubs and champs have nothing balanced.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

We don't balance anything on these planes there not high enough performance to need it. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Thanks guys for the responses. Just what I thought so thank you for confirming. I'll paint the aileron and not worry about it. Yes, 80 MPH is slow. I'm sure those 29" Tundra tires and very large Catto prop have something to do with the low top speed. The plane is new to me, in fact, I just received my tail-wheel endorsement in it yesterday. Thanks again for responding to this newbie!

Return to “Just Aircraft”