Very close to ordering a SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Re: Very close to ordering a SuperSTOL XL

Post by av8rps »

How ironic to this thread, I just noticed someone has a Super Stol XL with a 0-340 Lycoming in it for sale on barnstormers.com

I'm really curios how that worked out, but maybe it would be better for someone that is truly interested in having a SS like that to call and ask questions about what performance that combination provided, what it weighed empty, etc.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Wow, that's fast, since they just announced it at Oshkosh a few months ago...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

The prototype XL was at S&F this year, but that's still fast!

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

av8rps

What Desser tire are they using on the Highlander? There are a lot of tires on their web site and the nomenclature is not very intuitive.
Thanks. Joe B
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Joe,
Here is the link to the tire on the Desser website...
http://www.desser.com/aircraft-tires-an ... 2710-8.asp
For some reason it's currently showing $0 as the price, but I believe they were about $400 each.

For the complete forum thread on Desser 27" tires check out this link...
http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php ... ser#p47476
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Thanks for posting the links. Hard to believe they are priced so far below the Airstreaks but as mentioned in the rest of the posts they are way over proceed. Joe B
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

The Tiger SuperSTOL is up for sale. Who ever purchased it and imported it to Canada has had it for a few months and it is up for sale on Barnstormers. Beautiful bird, quite Pricy.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I suspect $142,500 is the price in Canadian Dollars, which translates to about $105,000... right in the ballpark with the other SuperSTOLs on the market.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I am cogitating getting a SuperSTOL kit. If I do, I will do the builders assist program. I currently have a Kitfox series 7. It's cruise speed is right at 100 MPH. I plan on looking at the SuperSTOL at the Sebring flyin. I am struggling with the decision, any inputs or comments. I have heard the SuperSTOL cruises at 85 to 95, which is it? I would appreciate any comments.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

FlyerChief wrote:I suspect $142,500 is the price in Canadian Dollars, which translates to about $105,000... right in the ballpark with the other SuperSTOLs on the market.
Dan
$105,000 doesn't sound like a bad price. I didn't think about the exchange rate.
AV8R Paul
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Paul Z,

The SuperSTOL's cruise is widely varied. I have flown a couple different SS's, and they were anywhere from 93 mph down to about 82mph. They vary depending on weight of aircraft, tire size makes a big difference due to drag, and the prop is probably the biggest decider. There are so many different variations out there, it would be a monumental task to sort it out. You could build a lightweight airplane, keep the 21" tires, and use a Kiev prop, and you will be up around the 95 mph cruise. However, if you fatten it up with an overly fancy interior, lots of gadgetry in the panel, 29 or 31" tires, and a Catto or Prince STOL prop, and you are going to be substantially slower, perhaps even down below the 80 mph mark. At one time, Troy had a Catto prop that would take off and climb like nobodys business, but you could catch and pass him on a fast bicycle. (kidding of course, but it was crazy slow, and I think he had to really watch his tach once he leveled out)

Hope that doesnt muddy the water too much for you, it is just vary dependant on configuration.

My $0.02, but sold at a discounted rate.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

SuperFly
My Kitfox cruises at about 104 at 5200 to 5300 RPM, so 94 would not be that bad. The highest I have ever seen is 110 mph. I have read your entire Build Posting. Very nice build so far. How is you progress going? Your children are great! Obviously your have the larger tires.

Paul Z
SuperFly wrote:Paul Z,

The SuperSTOL's cruise is widely varied. I have flown a couple different SS's, and they were anywhere from 93 mph down to about 82mph. They vary depending on weight of aircraft, tire size makes a big difference due to drag, and the prop is probably the biggest decider. There are so many different variations out there, it would be a monumental task to sort it out. You could build a lightweight airplane, keep the 21" tires, and use a Kiev prop, and you will be up around the 95 mph cruise. However, if you fatten it up with an overly fancy interior, lots of gadgetry in the panel, 29 or 31" tires, and a Catto or Prince STOL prop, and you are going to be substantially slower, perhaps even down below the 80 mph mark. At one time, Troy had a Catto prop that would take off and climb like nobodys business, but you could catch and pass him on a fast bicycle. (kidding of course, but it was crazy slow, and I think he had to really watch his tach once he leveled out)

Hope that doesnt muddy the water too much for you, it is just vary dependant on configuration.

My $0.02, but sold at a discounted rate.
AV8R Paul
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Paul,

I do have the larger tires, 29" Alaskan Bush Wheels. Speed was not much of an issue to me, as I don't typically go very far, and when I do, I will be building time ;). This is my escape from work, so if it takes me longer to get there and home, well, thats kinda the point.

I am progressing very well, I just dont have time to update the website. I plan to do that this winter once the airplane is flying and its to crummy outside to fly. Actually last night I put the life bloods in engine, burped the oil system, and cranked it until I had oil pressure. If its decent out this afternoon, I plan to light the fires for the first time. A handful of punch list items, and its ready for inspection. Watch my website later this winter, as I will get the rest of the build put on there.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Ben, It's been a long time since you stuffed your SS wings into your truck and made the drive home from Just. It took a lot longer than I expected for you to finish up your bird but I can imagine having young children around would slow you up quite a bit. Congrats on nearing the finish line. I hope everything goes as planned for you. As mentioned above, your build site is great reading. Joe B
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

SuperFly (AKA Ben),

I did a flight plan from Garland Texas to Boise, Idaho. I had 100 MPH versus 90 MPH 1206 miles. At 100 MPH it takes 14 hours 53 minutes, and at 90 MPH it's 16 hours 44 minutes. If I'm traveling that far it's 3 days regardless. So three 5.0 hour days or three 5 1/2 hour days. The head winds in the mountains cause more delay than the 10 MPH speed loss. I usually go exploring anyway. Flying through the Rockies up to Idaho, and flying in the mountains in Idaho is the fun part.

I'm looking forward to seeing your completed SuperSTOL. I purchased a pressure hose to pressurize the oil system. It is just as easy to burp the system as to pressurize & burp the oil system. Have a safe first flight.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”