Grove Gear and Matco Axle

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Grove Gear and Matco Axle

Post by mhcrowder »

I'm starting to think I got the wrong axles from Matco/Just with my kit. I received two Matco A3A axles and when trying to install the spacer's provided by Just the axles are no where near long enough. And without the spacer, the wheel assembly hits the Grove gear. Does anyone know what Axle I should be using? Not sure if anyone will be around @ Just HQ until Monday. Gonna be a long weekend if I don't have the right axles.....

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
jak
Veteran Member

Re: Grove Gear and Matco Axle

Post by jak »

When using the matco axles don't use the spacer we provide and remove the spacers between the brake drum and the hub. They will fit then. if this doesn't work call me. Jak PS if I don't answer please keep trying I'm over being sick and working today.
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

When using the matco axles don't use the spacer we provide and remove the spacers between the brake drum and the hub. They will fit then. if this doesn't work call me. Jak PS if I don't answer please keep trying I'm over being sick and working today.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Jak,

That did it! Many thanks. Didn't even see the spacer without removing the brake disc! And the drawing on Matco's website doesn't show the spacer in the engineering drawing!

Next question is on the Grove gear itself. Does the straight edge go toward the front or rear of the airplane? I'm assuming the straight edge goes toward the front and the tapered end toward the rear. This would put the brake gun-drilled holes toward the front, which kinda makes sense.

Thanks again,
Michael
Building Highlander #371
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Your correct the brake holes go toward the front funny thing is I have put about 6 of these things on and I haven't noticed a straight and tapered edge. Oh well so much for paying attention. Jak
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Jak,

New problem cropped up tonight. Finally got to the point of putting the Matco Axle/Rims/Tires (7.00-6) on the Grove Gear. When the tires are inflated to 15 psi the tire rubs the stationary brake shoe as the tire rotates.
Are we doing something wrong?
IMG_20160111_195749725_sm.jpg
==
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Building Highlander #371
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Its always been close but I've never had it to rub. Try putting a washer back in where you removed the spacer between the brake disk and the hub. this should just clear both tire and axle. Let me know. Jak
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

24.JPG
23.JPG
16.JPG
15.JPG
Here are some pictures from long long ago of my installation. The spacer kit came from Matco. I don't recall any of the dimensions but it worked and I have never had a problem with the disc rubbing on the tires. Tire pressure from 12 to 15 lbs.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Thanks Guys! Two 1/4" washers were added and it fixed the rubbing issue. Thanks for the quick options!

--
Michael
Building Highlander #371
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Where did you put two 1/4" washers to fix this. Jak
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Jak,

We placed two (2) 1/4" washers on each of the three bolts, between the brake disk and the hub, where the larger spacers were removed. We'll post pictures when we modify the second one on our Blog.

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371

Return to “Just Aircraft”