Mounting Compass to Windshield

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Mounting Compass to Windshield

Post by kenryan »

Has anyone mounted their compass hanging down from the windshield? Good idea or bad idea?
Super Stol Kit #299
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Re: Mounting Compass to Windshield

Post by Trilander Ted »

I made mine out of 2"x4"x1/8 aluminum angel and used adel clamps to attach to the front wing spar area. I liked it up there, I had a vertical compass that didn't like the electrical in the instrument panel. Look back in my old posts to see how to do it. I don't know any one that followed my model, but I wouldn't do it any other way. Trilander Ted
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Ted, I found the picture of your compass installation. I like it! Same basic idea but probably much better than mounting to windshield. Is it relatively unaffected by the steel tubes in that location?
Super Stol Kit #299
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Have been gone for Christmas. I found that the compass is never quite wright, but at least adjustable, at least it didn't change when the engine and radios came on. The best thing is it seemed to be where you need it most. The GPS stuff make us lazy with our pilot skills and the windscreen magnetic compass helps with your scanning without blocking much sky. When I built my bracket, I made it fit in a way that it didn't shake or wiggle in any way and the compass came with a vibration isolator bracket that helped the installation ( used brass nuts & bolts 6/32s ). Good Luck Trilander Ted
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Trilander Ted wrote:I made mine out of 2"x4"x1/8 aluminum angel and used adel clamps to attach to the front wing spar area. I liked it up there, I had a vertical compass that didn't like the electrical in the instrument panel. Look back in my old posts to see how to do it. I don't know any one that followed my model, but I wouldn't do it any other way. Trilander Ted
Here's a link to Ted's post showing his pictures: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 018#p37018 ... and here are his pictures:
Panel-N9939-1.jpg
Panel-N9939-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Ted, I notice on your panel you have a Lowrance GPS. I know that Jeppesen is not supporting it any longer. I took mine out of its panel mount and replaced it with an iFly. I just had to cut just a little to put in place their panel docking system. Just a thought. :)
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Unfortunately, I no longer have an airplane ( lack of disposable income ). I was happy with the Lorance 2000 since my area of desert doesn't change much and I was familiar with it. I loved my Trilander just the way it was. I hope the new owner has as much joy out of it as I surely did . Trilander Ted
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I found that a magnetic compass held anywhere in the cockpit that it could be mounted was wildly inaccurate to the point it could not be "swung". It worked fine outside or even in the middle away from any metal. Like Dennis I swapped my Lowrance for a iFly and, using a Ram ball mount, now use it for a compass.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Alan,

I agree with your statement about the magnetic interference throughout the cockpit. The compass is one of the last things to install in the aircraft so you can wait until the avionics and engine are operational before you install it. Fire everything up and move the compass around the cockpit to find the best location for your installation. Every avionics system will emit EMF differently. I wanted to put my compass in the same place that Ted did but the top of my panel worked best for my installation.

Jack
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Writing about his compass mount Trilander Ted said:
I made mine out of 2"x4"x1/8 aluminum angel and used adel clamps to attach to the front wing spar area. I liked it up there, I had a vertical compass that didn't like the electrical in the instrument panel. Look back in my old posts to see how to do it. I don't know any one that followed my model, but I wouldn't do it any other way. Trilander Ted

Hi Ted...I really like your mount and intend to copy it. Just one question. The white support bracket seems thicker than 1/8". Maybe about 1/4" if I compare it to the thickness of the black Compass mounting bracket (measured 1/16" (not including foam)). Do you recall what the thickness was?

Thanks for the design!...J
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

My good buddy Trilander Ted wanted me to pass on a message for you since the computer gremlins are devouring his e-mail account. The thickness of the bracket are indeed 1/8 inch. He is a genius at anything mechanical. When I wanted to put in one of the acrylic windshields and didn't have any tabs on the head rack (since my airframe was s/n28) he milled out some brackets and made a couple of pieces of aluminum to hold the windshield and the new .125 tinted skylight together and IMHO looks better than the original setup. Stronger too. I have a feeling that if Ted was building something from scratch it might take a P&W 4360 to drive it around the sky. Anyway, good luck with your project.

Gil T

Return to “Just Aircraft”