Alaska Superstol build

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Re: Alaska Superstol build

Post by moving2time »

Wow. I was looking at property in New Bern last year. Interested in something with enough land so I could build a runway. Everything was covered with pine trees. Really dense pine trees. Loved New Bern. Still thinking about it. Joe B
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

I have a fond memory of New Bern, North Carolina as a military brat . . . .

My family lived nearby at the Marine Corps Base at Cherry Point. On this given day, I accompanied by dad on his trip to New Bern to run errands. I think I was 7 years old. We stopped at a drugstore, and as he was occupied, I strayed away to explore. I remember perusing the aisles, and eventually came upon some color magazines with scantily-clad women on the covers. I picked one up and flipped it open. And just like that, I was no longer a virgin. The next thing I knew, my dad appeared and snatched the magazine out of my hands and he pulled me out of the store.

As a 7 year-old's brain works. . . . I remember thinking that I was certainly going to come back to New Bern when I grew up, so I could get another look at that magazine !
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Hey guys, not a lot to report today. Got my slats mostly built, hoping to fit them to the wings tomorrow.

I burned up a bunch of time today patching a square hole in the bottom skins on the slats. I believe it's a new design from the factory used for fitting the slats to the wing. We do the fitting a bit differently and I didn't want a big square hole in the bottom skin of my slats so I put plates on the insides of the skins. That's about all I got done today.

Question for you guys, does anyone know why we can't use the Tapatalk app with this forum? I use it for the other forums I read and I was hoping that since the app has been redesigned we might be able to use it here as well. No dice yet.
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

Wow, Keith. I'm sooo happy to see you building AND in such "tropical" environs!
I'll have to find G'ville, NC on the map.
I will look forward to watching the progress. Might even have to trek east to see this setup. :D
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I was able to finish up my slats today. Mounted them to the wings, fitted them and drilled the floating slat arm then got the top skins put on. Doesn't sound like much but it took me all day. I guess I did spend some time splitting firewood for the hanger stove, so there's that. I'm hoping to start rigging wings tomorrow, or maybe build flaps or ailerons, we'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Showalter
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Built my ailerons and flaps today. I wanted to do more but ran out of time and steam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Showalter
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I rigged up my wings today and put on the trailing edge skins. Tomorrow I'm going to shoot for fuel tanks and fitting the wings to the fuselage then they're ready to cover.
Keith Showalter
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Got my tanks installed, tank skins drilled today, rib stiffeners put on. I also cut the spars, it's a bit of a mind trip cutting the ends of the spars after your wings are all built up. Pretty sure I double checked my template more than 5 times. Getting close to being ready for fabric.
Keith Showalter
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Pics??? :D

You're making great progress!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Thanks Clark, it feels like its gong fairly well. I helped tile a bathroom the last few days so I don't have a lot to report. I got my tail put together and wired up. Drilled out all the powder coat on the fuselage so I'm ready for parts now. I'm sort of in the middle of installing my seats and seat tracks. The control mixer is more or less installed. Hopefully I'll get my head back in the game tomorrow.
Keith Showalter
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I finished up my seats and control mixer today, built the pedals and they're ready for paint, fitted all my floor pieces, installed a bunch of pulleys, got my ELT tray and battery tray ready to go. Didn't feel like that much but I guess it was a decent day.
Keith Showalter
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Keith,
Looks like you'll be done long before me. I look forward to meeting you and seeing your plane when you get back to Alaska. Tell Robby hello for me.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

John, looking forward to meeting you as well. I'm sure I'll be ready to be home come spring.

Today I painted up my rudder/brake pedals, finished up my floors. Installed the tail shock, then spent the rest of the day forming and installing the four body formers/stringers. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I've seen some lumpy/wavy stringers and didn't want to go that way so I'm pleased with how they turned out. I'd like to finish up the rudder pedal install tomorrow.
Keith Showalter
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I built my door jams and door yesterday so I could keep the fuselage moving along. Waiting for my elt to install then I'm getting close to being ready to cover. Today I started covering wings, got one done minus tapes. More tomorrow.
Keith Showalter
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Keith. Plane is looking good. I noticed you never installed spoilers. Just wondering why you didn't.Thanks Oren

Return to “Just Aircraft”