Highlander XL??

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Swoopjack
Forum Regular

Highlander XL??

Post by Swoopjack »

I haven't heard as much talk about the SS XL as I thought I would after the debut at sun n fun. I saw it there and was very impressed. "Sold on it " may be an accurate description. Having more choices of engines is an obvious advantage plus more power and speed. It has occurred to me that I may not need the extreme abilities of the SS . I am currently working on a runway at my house that is gonna be 700 ft long. Highlander will do that easily. BUT....I still like the idea of THE XL option. Anybody else thought of a Highlander XL? That thing should cruise at 115 to 120 with a 160HP under the hood. Just kicking this around. Any comments on this subject wI'll be appreciated.

Swoop out
av8rps
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander XL??

Post by av8rps »

I'm not so sure you will see 115-120 mph cruise out of a SS XL, even with 160 hp. The SS just has too much drag, especially if equipped with large Bushwheels. I think you'll be lucky to see 100 mph.
Swoopjack
Forum Regular

Post by Swoopjack »

You missed the point. I'm talking about a Highlander XL
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

I think the wings are interchangeable. I remember that you could upgrade a highlander to S.S. wings. So if the highlander gear would work on a S.S. Fuselage, you should be able to order a stretch fuselage and make a stretch highlander out of it. But whether the highlander tube spars and wings would be recommended on a heavier airplane might be a question. Especially, having a heavier engine, tanks, and roomier interior...it will be tempting to fill it up to use all that. Pretty sure the turbulence maneuvering speed would be way below what you'd be flying normally.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Call and ask. I was thinking of a highlander style gear versus the monster gear, and the SuperSTOL Wing. The said they could do that. I talking with them there is suppose to be a SuperSTOL Tri-Gear being built. Just get you check book out and be ready to pay.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Oops! I did miss that.

A stretched Highlander with an 0-320 has been essentially done before, it's called an Avid Magnum. The only real difference is that it was probably quite a bit beefier everywhere as it had a gross weight of 1750 originally, moved to 1850 later. Its empty weight was right around 1,000 lbs. It was a great performer, and yes, it cruised faster, about 125 to 130 (the Avid / Dean Wilson airfoil is faster than the Highlanders' as it is just a bit thinner... like 3/8th of an inch) The Magnum is a very nice flying plane.

I wouldn't be surprised if the design wasn't the major inspiration for the conception of the Highlander. The most major difference was that it used flaperons vs standard flaps and ailerons, and the Highlander is somewhat "Downsized" by comparison, to fly with a 912 and qualify as a LSA.

If you want to learn more about it, watch "The Avid Advantage II "on you tube. It's a great video that really does a good job showing the Magnum as well as the lineage of our planes today. And there is is some really great flying in it showing just what one can do with planes like this.

I obviously don't want to take any sales away from Troy and Gary, but I'm guessing they will tell you the Highlander as it is can't handle an 0-320, and the Super Stol fuselage is very different than a Highlander, so I believe they'd have to modify a SS XL fuselage extensively to make a Highlander XL out of it.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

My understanding is they designed the SS wing from the start to handle the higher gross weight because the stretch was always in the plan. Not the case with the Highlander wing.....so my guess is it will not be an option. Give them a call.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Swoopjack
Forum Regular

Post by Swoopjack »

Thanks for the replies. I will have to talk to Troy about the limits of the Highlander wing. I looked at everything at Sun and Fun '15 and nothing really compares to the Just products for me. I'm just trying to get a little more speed out of em. I'm still a couple years out from retirement and that's when I'm gonna order. So I'll keep watchin and dreaming till then.

Swoop out

Return to “Just Aircraft”