Low oil and CHT temps

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Low oil and CHT temps

Post by Chief »

Anybody doing any air intake blocking to keep oil / CHT up during cold weather?
Jack L
Veteran Member

Re: Low oil and CHT temps

Post by Jack L »

Chief,

I haven't had to block the airflow yet but am curious to know if anyone has. To date covering the oil cooler and water cooler has worked for me down to 5 deg F. I just bent some aluminum covers and snap them onto the coolers and secure them in place with a small piece of duct tape.

Jack
cover.JPG
skis.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

You may have seen this on a previous post but the Oil Thermostasis kit works really well for keeping the oil temps up. It also greatly reduces the warm up time (120 degrees) when it cold out.

Gary
IMG_1278.jpg

Almost ready for Skis, we need some snow in MI...
Skis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Ditto on the oil thermostat. :mrgreen:
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Thanks Jack and Gary. I want to try both
solutions. Gary, does Just Aircraft carry the theronstat kit?
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I'm not sure if they do now. I worked with Steve from Aircraftspecialty on the hose routing/ install kit. The web address is below.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Gary

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Here's a link to the Thermostasis FAQ and Installation Instruction Sheets: http://thermostasis.com/includes/templa ... is-faq.pdf

You can also get the Thermostasis unit from Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... mostat.php and Ronnie Smith (of South Mississippi Light Aircraft) http://www.bullyhawk.com/products/engin ... hermostat/.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

It's easy to install and several on-line companies sell them. Depending on how and where you install it several new hoses are needed. I like the idea of fire sleeve on fuel and oil lines. Steve can make them up to any length you need. I've fabricated my own in the past but had Aircraft Specialty handle these.

Gary
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

I finally installed a Thermostasis unit on my Highlander. At first I wasn't keen on the additional points of failure in the lubrication system but now that the North American Rotax engine distributors are supporting, selling and using these devices in their own aircraft I wanted to give it a try. My thermostat is the P6-H-205 version that will maintain the oil temp at 205 deg C, the installation looks much like Gary Kremmers' does and was an easy retro fit. For purging I pre-filled the cooler and lines which made the purging process quicker.

Before the Thermostasis I would experience warm up times of 20 - 30 minutes with engine preheat, yesterday it was under 5 minutes with an OAT of -6C/21F. On climb out the temperature raised to 205C but during cruise it settled back down between 185 and 190C. My water cooler is partially covered and the temps were in the green. The cabin heat is very warm and I can fly without a jacket, hat or gloves in this weather.

Gary, are you experiencing the same temps in cruise? My limit for cold weather flying is -15C/5F and I am wondering what the oil temps will be like in that cold air? Going back to Chief's original question, has anyone blocked the air inlets on either side of the propeller to minimize the cooling air?

There is a lot of talk on this forum about what the Highlander and SuperSTOL are capable of on bush wheels and floats and much less on skis mostly due to demographics, but for anyone living in the north you have to get out on skis! Yesterday I went out in 14 inches of powder without a tail ski and it was a blast! The tail is off the ground in 1 second and you are airborne in 4 or 5 seconds max. I am flying with Federal 1500 straight skis that I widened from 6 to 8 inches with UHMW. These skis can be purchased for $500.00, mine came off a J3 Cub and were installed on my Highlander without modification with the exception of the rigging. Winter is coming to an end soon but if you live in the north part of the continent get out there next year if you can.
IMG_0329.JPG
Jack
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Jack,
Great results with the Thermostasis unit.
I have the 190 degree one and it works great in the spring and fall. I hope to try ski flying next winter, but for now, I wear the skis in winter. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
DSC_5772 smaller.JPG
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Jack,
When it's really cold (below 10F) my oil temps run about 170 or so (I have the 190 degree model). We didn't have a great year for snow in MI this past winter. I got out 6 or 7 times with skis. I'm always amazed at how fast she gets the tail up and into the air. The skis are back off the Highlander, tucked away for next winter. Looking forward to getting my sea plane rating this spring. Still deciding what floats I want to get. They have to be amphibious so the options are limited.

We just got back from a week in the Bahamas. Abaco Island, Green Turtle and Stella Maris on Long Island. We had 10 planes fly down, Darlene and I took the RV10. That plane is such a capable cross country machine.

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”