Shiflett Escapade Build

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
pbsinohio

Shiflett Escapade Build

Post by pbsinohio »

Hope I'm doing this right. All suggestions gratefully accepted.

I, Philip Shiflett, am building an Escapade with the help of my brother Carl and the advice of Jack Kesler. I will use this site to post pictures for all to comment on, for Jack's review and general questions I will have.

Thanks,

Philip
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Re: Shiflett Escapade Build

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Philip,
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Just Aircraft builders. Where are you in Ohio? There are a couple of Highlander owners there in Ohio and a couple of us just across the pond in Ontario, Canada. Besides building an aircraft from Just, you're made a great first step in joining this forum. There are a few experts on here and a lot of us that like to think we are. Kidding aside, you will find the builders here very helpful and also a ton of information available by using the search feature on the upper right corner of the forum screen. With 17,000 posts here, there is more information (often with pictures) than one can even imagine as they start the build process. Try it out by searching for "recommended build order" and you will find your way to a great list from JustAircraft that gives you an idea of where to start and how to proceed. I believe it's the second or third post from the bottom of the list. (one of the earliest ones)
Good luck with the build!
Dan
Highlander #241
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Welcome Philip! Ditto to Dan's post. :mrgreen:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Welcome Aboard Phillip,

Glad you made it onto here. The search feature is your friend, but don't hesitate to ask as well, through my build, I had questions, and wasn't sure how exactly to word them to make the search function find the info required, When I would ask, others were able to simply link to the thread, or offer advice on wording to find it in search without them having to type up the entire dissertation again. So don't be afraid to ask. Everyone on here has always been very accommodating, and helpful. Everyones interest lies in the successful completion and safe flight of Just Aircraft flying machines...
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Welcome aboard Phillip!

You'll be hard pressed to find a better group of people than those hanging out here. And whether building or flying questions, you'll find it all here either in archives, or by just asking. You chose a GREAT airplane and an equally great group of aviators to hang out with!

Paul S
Central Wisconsin
pbsinohio

Post by pbsinohio »

Update on Just Aircraft Escapade:

A hiatus of approximately two years remodeling a rental house. Yech.

Plane is nearing completion. Will use Dynon Avionics and Viking 130 engine.

Some advice based on what I've learned:

When using the Viking 130 on an Escapade you will have a nose heavy airplane unless you do the following:

1. Place your batteries in the extreme tail.

2. Use the 2 gallon header tank system and locate it in the rear of the baggage compartment.

3. Build a tail dragger. Your nose wheel is a huge mass on the wrong end of the airplane. A tail wheel weighs lightly less and aides W&B a LOT!

4. Place the radiator under the belly secured to the rear landing gear attachment points.

5. You will need a minimum, 125 pound pilot to make balance.

As I have not yet finished the aircraft, I only have engineering estimates of W&B but it looks pretty good.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Just sent you a PM
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
pbsinohio

Post by pbsinohio »

FYI,

Did finished W&B, Escapade airframe, Viking 130 engine.

386 lb Left Main, -8.75 inches
391 lb Right Main, -8.75 inches
083 lb Tail, 160.75 inches
010 lb Tools, misc. equipment @ 82 inches
1 each, 2 gallons header tank at 82 inches
2 each, 13 gallons each wing tanks at 15 inches

Total fuel exhausted weight = 870 lb.
Balance requires 125 lb. pilot for minimum weight 995 lb.
Useful load = 450 lb.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Make sure you measure your wheel locations, I checked mine with a plumb-Bob and they were -7.875”. Tailwheel was 170”. The main gear positions were almost an inch behind the “book” location of 8.75”, which makes quite a big difference in CG when you are discussing 90% of your weight.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
pbsinohio

Post by pbsinohio »

danerazz wrote:Make sure you measure your wheel locations, I checked mine with a plumb-Bob and they were -7.875”. Tailwheel was 170”. The main gear positions were almost an inch behind the “book” location of 8.75”, which makes quite a big difference in CG when you are discussing 90% of your weight.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on that. I will definitely check it out.

What was your W&B final? Did this one look relatively normal?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I posted my numbers on the “if you were curious...” thread.

Not sure I can speak to “normal” as I have a 7-cylinder radial, HOWEVER: I have a spreadsheet and did a lot of estimates based on Rotax powered reported weights, and I was very close to my estimates. Double check your arms (which may be right if you have the “standard” escapade gear, but measure everything to be sure. I had briefly looked at the Viking, and I think the weight was similar, so you might be close.

It doesn’t sound too far out of bounds.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Make sure you measure your wheel locations, I checked mine with a plumb-Bob and they were -7.875”. Tailwheel was 170”. The main gear positions were almost an inch behind the “book” location of 8.75”, which makes quite a big difference in CG when you are discussing 90% of your weight.

Dane, I found the same thing. I dropped a plumb-bob from the leading edge of the wing and got -7.75 in. Interesting :shock:
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I’d say that 1/8” difference is pretty close!

Glad it’s not just me.

Obviously, if you use a different tailwheel that number could be off significantly.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”