Anphibious Float question

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Anphibious Float question

Post by gkremers »

Pete or anyone else with Anphibious Floats.
Can you tell me the height from the top of the rudder to the floor. Trying to figure out if I can get the Highlander in the hangar with floats while the RV10 is on the lift.

Thanks
Gary
av8rps
Veteran Member

Re: Anphibious Float question

Post by av8rps »

Gary,

I'm sure someone can give you that number, but there are so many variables (type and size of floats, incidence angles of rigging, etc) that it isn't necessarily going to be accurate unless you set yours up exactly like theirs. But I can tell you that if you build or buy some sort of dolly that you can put under the front of the floats, you can put the tail whetever you want it.

Many guys with bigger amphibs have to do that as most will not fit under a standard hangar door, and that works well to solve their issue. And it's a lot easier and cheaper tban a new hangar.

Paul S
central Wisconsin
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

From what I can tell so far mine will be at least 10.5 feet at the tail on Zenair Amphibs with 23" between the floats and the bottom of the plane. I should have an exact measurement in a month or so when I do the installation. Too cold lately to even work on the plane and floats. :(
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I know there are many variables but just trying to get in the ball park. My hangar door is 14.5' clear height so that's not a problem. I've been playing around with scale drawings to see what may work. With a ballpark on the height I can do a profile plan view. I was measuring again tonight and think it may work. The choice right now is between the Zenair pre-punched kit and Clamar. The Clamar amphibious floats are almost twice as much so defiantly leaning towards the Zenair. I guess it would be a good fall/winter project here in MI. I plan on getting my seaplane rating late spring, more fun than a bi-annual.

Thanks
Gary
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Gary,

PM me and I will give you Bob Dimond's contact info. His hangar door is 10' tall and he says the top of his tail is at 9'4".
IMG_0172.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

With that tall of a hangar door I doubt you will have an issue. I don't have my Highlander on floats right now, and never measured the tail height, but it along with my Kitfox on amphibs fits under my 11 ft door with plenty of room to spare. So I'm certain you won't have any problems with a door that high.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I'm not concerned about the door height. Trying to see if I can get the Highlander in with the RV10. I worked out a floor plan that looks like it will work if I move the lift over and back towards the rear wall of the hangar.
IMG_1969.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I was wanting to xxxlpl reply but myz keyboard haazz to firzt dryu out from all the droollll :lol:
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

gkremers wrote:I'm not concerned about the door height. Trying to see if I can get the Highlander in with the RV10. I worked out a floor plan that looks like it will work if I move the lift over and back towards the rear wall of the hangar.
IMG_1969.jpg
I love the Colors of that Highlander.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
bjdexter

Post by bjdexter »

I am a new member to the Wings Forum and just came across this question of tail height on a Highlander on amfib floats. I have a Highlander on Waterlander amfib floats and the tail height is 9' 5".
Bruce
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Bruce,
Thanks for the information. How do you like the floats? Is the company still in business.

Gary
pt17
Forum Regular

Post by pt17 »

Just found this post. Mine is 9'3".

Return to “Just Aircraft”