Red Fuel Cube installation

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Red Fuel Cube installation

Post by FredHoffman »

Having a tough time finding a good spot for a fuel flow sensor. Lots of restrictions on location and orientation, I think I am giving up complying with them all. I think I'm mounting it just past gasgolator on firewall with the outlet facing up. Anybody else mount the cube up and upstream of engine driven pump? Does it read reasonably accurate in this position? Any ideas?

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Red Fuel Cube installation

Post by gkremers »

Fred,
The red cube wires really need to be facing up, I've installed several of these in various aircraft. Mine is located under the co-pilot side control colum. Very accurate fuel flow once calibrated.

Gary
IMG_1114.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Reading the installation instructions I realized that there was no way I could comply with all of them. I began to think it has been getting too complicated to install this thing. I was now making a fuel rail on the firewall to mount the cube and fuel pressure sensor and then had to make new fuel lines on the engine to go to that rail. I could meet most conditions then, but too much effort! After seeing your install I see this extra complication isn't necessary. That's also a great spot for the fuel pump. I was going to mount it right next to the header tank. Also your Red Cube looks to be after the of the electric fuel pump but obviously before the engine pump. I am glad to hear it's accurate in this position. Do you have any fuel filters before the cube? In my install I put a usher gasgolator on the firewall which I was planning as the only filter.

Thanks for the reply. Was in stuck rut at this point.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Fred,
The fuel filters are just after the pickup from the fuel tanks. They are a combination ON/OFF and 100 micron filter. I've had Rotax 912 engines on other builds, they are definitely intolerant of dirty fuel. I run all my auto fuel through a Mr Funnel into a Fast Flow 20 gal setup. The Fast Flow makes fueling the High Wing a snap.
IMG_1242.jpg
Gary
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Here is the fuel rail/ block idea I mentioned in a previous post. The parts were already on the way so now they are here I just wanted to see how it fit. Not sure if I'll go with this but here it is. The engine fuel pump would go to the fuel cube mounted on a fuel block on the firewall also on the block is the pressure sensor. The fitting on the top of the block goes to the fuel manifold on the Rotax carb balance tube. Keeps everything off the engine, away from heat and all downstream of the gasgolator and last fuel pump. Bad idea?

Fred
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Fred,
Doesn't look like anybody wants to comment!!

The installation looks nice and clean. I would just be concerned with the 90 degree fuel entry into the cube. They would like a couple of inches straight into the fitting. If you leave it the way it is be sure to support the fuel line leaving the red cube.

Gary
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need two fuel cubes on a Rotax? Not to mention another device to compare the difference in flow going to the fuel pump, and the flow going back to the header? That's if one wants an accurate fuel flow/burn indication?
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I only have one, after the Andair valve. Not much fuel returns to the header in a standard 912S installation. Based on a 20 gallon fill I'm never off more than 3 tenths of a gallon. I'm sure every installation is different..

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”