Oil Lines

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Oil Lines

Post by FredHoffman »

Looking through many build logs, it looks like many have used a braided steel line on the oil lines. I also noticed summit racing fittings on the ends. Is there an advantage over FWF kit supplied blue aeroquip hose?

Fred
john2
Veteran Member

Re: Oil Lines

Post by john2 »

Hi Fred,
I will give you my 2 cents worth. I had originally bought the JEGS braided lines to use on my set-up as I had been told they were good for this service (I imagine there on par with Summit lines). Fast forward a year or so later and now I'm ready to install oil lines. Since my original purchase of this product I have heard it is questionable for use on the suction side of the pump and my neighbor and highly regarded Rotax guru (Ronnie Smith) also advised against it. Since I have over 16 grand or more invested in a used engine with a big bore kit I decided I would not chance it on marginal oil lines. I ponied up and ordered all my oil lines from Aircraft Specialty. They were not cheap but Steve was great to work with and I won't have to worry about my engine because of oil line failure and these will last a very long time. Another great thing is Steve will send you the fittings and then you use vinyl hose to make mock ups of your oil lines, measure them and send the fittings back to Steve to have them made. If I had not gone this route I would have used the Aeroquip stuff.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Fred,
I agree with John, Steve did a great job on the oil lines. I knew I wanted the oil thermostat so most of the original lines supplied with the kit would not fit.

Gary
IMG_1278.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RV6
Forum Regular

Post by RV6 »

Do not use the Teflon/braid lines from Jegs or summit racing!!!!!! Why,well after using these hoses that you make
up and install for fuel and oil lines YOU CANNOT PRESSURE TEST BEFORE USE....
Had to replace 65% of all the lines!!!Small leaks can drive ya nuts....
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Thanks for the responses. I'll put a call into Aircraft Specialty for custom hoses.

Fred

Return to “Just Aircraft”