Alaska Superstol build

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
dkshow
Veteran Member

Re: Alaska Superstol build

Post by dkshow »

Hung my prop today, now I'm down to waiting for my trailer people to get on the ball and finish my trailer. Rob should be test flying his plane this week some time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Very Nice! I'd be interested in a flying report. Cruise Speed, Stall Speed etc. I just got back from Corona Calif, it was a long drive from Dallas. I can't imagine trailering all the way back to Alaska!
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Hey guys I've been quiet mostly because I've been busy flying and driving home. I'm back in Alaska with my airplane and I'm super happy to be home. I spent some time in Brasstown with the Paynes getting some transition time with Vic and Billy, which by the way is highly highly recommended. Best instruction I've had, absolute pleasure to fly with those guys. Made a bunch of new friends in Brasstown before I headed north.

It took me 5.5 days to drive north with my trailer and airplane. It was super boring and uneventful which is how you want that trip. No chaffing or wear on the airplane that I could find so I'm grateful.

My dad flew up and joined my brother and me for the trip to Valdez for the STOL competition which was fun. I decided not to fly over because weather was pretty sketchy. It was fun being part of Robbys pit crew for the competition this year. He did a great job flying and won 1st place in the LSA bracket and 2nd overall this year. Excellent showing for the Just Aircraft Superstol crowd.

I'm looking forward to a fun summer in my airplane looking for beaches and gravel bars to fish from. I'll try to keep posting here as things happen this summer.

Today with me and dad in the airplane, half fuel and some gear in the back I was showing 95 mph indicated. I'm super pleased with the cruise numbers with this Catto 82x39. It also climbs like crazy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Showalter
Gardlander

Post by Gardlander »

Hello !

What is the empty weight ? I am trying to get my SS as light as possible. Got some pointers from Rob when I visited Braastown in April.
SuperStol #385 Norway
Flying next year
bizkid

Post by bizkid »

Hey Keith.

Nice to see you made it back with your fine Superstol, in one piece, it was great getting to know you, and awesome to see you and your crew took the well deserved 1 place in Valdez.

I will be starting up my engine, this upcoming weekend, i just today moved my Superstol to the airport, where me and some friends, gonna be assembling the last bits and pieces.

First ever Kit build aircraft in Greenland is almost ready :-)

Hope to see you some day in Alaska.

Have fun flying.

See ya.

René
SuperStol Kit #338,
With 29" Alaska Airstreaks
And Rotax 912uls, Kiev Prop.
OY-REP (Reserved)
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Very nice! The paint is excellent. 95 indicated not bad what was the cruise RPM?
AV8R Paul
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Hey guys, sorry for being so delinquent. I've been enjoying my airplane so much this summer. Here are just a few photos from my summer so far. I've been posting more photos in my Instagram account if anyone is interested. Search for dkshow on Instagram.
Keith Showalter
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Hey Keith,

Airplane looks great! What was your empty weight, and what size is your prop. Looks to be a Catto.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

dkshow wrote:Hey guys, sorry for being so delinquent. I've been enjoying my airplane so much this summer. Here are just a few photos from my summer so far. I've been posting more photos in my Instagram account if anyone is interested. Search for dkshow on Instagram.
Keith
Some excellent photo’s, I like Darth Vader.
If y’all have some time go look at his photo album, I had to join Instagram to view the photos, ’s is worth the effort.

Regards,
Paul Z
AV8R Paul
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I can't begin to tell you how amazing it is to fly your own plane around a state like Alaska. It's intimidating and incredibly rewarding. I've been places where you could spend days just enjoying the beauty. Fun stuff. I've also watched Robby land in places that you can't imagine are possible. I'm not that accomplished yet but I"m more comfortable now than when I started. I'll try to keep posting photos periodically.
Keith Showalter
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Fly safe, there was a accident reported April 18, 2016 @ Palmer Airport that involved a Just Aircraft SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I did a bunch of flying this weekend with my brother and Rob. My brother shot some pretty cool video of Rob flying up the river yesterday. Our weather this weekend was pretty fantastic so we were getting our monies worth and burning as much fuel as we could. Tons of fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpbgWbw8Cpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0lxrOi9lU
Keith Showalter
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Keith, that was some beautiful video. What camera did you use? Was it mounted outside or inside? I'm guessing it was hand held inside since you were able to change the direction and the zoom. The most important question. How did it come out so smooth. looked like an absolutely beautiful day. I have a go-pro but I have not had much success with it plus the battery does not last long enough to mount it outside. Pardon all the questions but you have some valuable information that I am hoping you will share. Thanks Joe B
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Joe,

It's an easy answer. My brother was using his iPhone 6s plus. He was sitting in the right side shooting hand held through the window. I think we cleaned the window for that flight so that helped a little. The stabilization software in those new iPhones is pretty fantastic. Also I believe you can shoot up to 4K with the new cameras. I've been very impressed considering it's a phone. They've also improved the rolling shutter thing that makes the prop look all wavy in video, it's now just a segmented prop which I think looks much better. Hope that answered some questions.
Keith Showalter
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Speaking of video cameras, what are you guys using? I'd love to find a user friendly solution for my airplane. Something I can turn on and off remotely and that has a decent mounting solution. Finding a place to mount a camera is half the challenge I think.
Keith Showalter

Return to “Just Aircraft”