AN742 Clamps Vs Adel Clamps

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

AN742 Clamps Vs Adel Clamps

Post by FredHoffman »

Just made a mount for my parking brake using aluminum AN742 clamps. Might redo using Adel clamps. The non padded clamps are much easier to use and cheaper. My concern is them cutting into the aircraft tubing over time. I noticed a few other have used them and I was wondering if those with a few hours on their aircraft if there are any issues?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ransomrocket994

Re: AN742 Clamps Vs Adel Clamps

Post by ransomrocket994 »

Fred,

You wont have any issue if they are aluminum clamps. Aluminum is much softer than the moly tube, therefore the clamp will wear out before the tube is even scratched. That looks like a solid way of mounting it.
Alex Coonan
#395 SuperSTOL/Lycoming O-235
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Friction tape around the tube first is an easy add to avoid any damage.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Well a friend just gave a good tip on working with Adel clamps. Safety wire them closed to position them to find out where to drill holes accurately. Much easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Fred,
Sorry for messing with your photo, but if you wire them this way, you can insert the bolt and put the washer and nut on bolt too. I did this a lot during my assembly of the aluminum fuel lines, etc. but it seems I forgot to get a photo of it, so I doctored your photo to illustrate the technique. Once the hardware is in place, cut and remove the wire, then simply tighten the hardware. It saves a lot of frustration during assembly. Hemostats or small vice grips work well to hold the clamp shut while you wire it up.
Dan
Adel Wired.jpeg
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Thanks!

There was a lot of frustration with those clamps, looks like I got it wired now! I remade my parking brake plate, I think the padded clamps are the better way to go. I remember an FAA inspector told me a story about a engine mount being cut through by simply using a non aviation tie wrap that had sharp edges. Crazy what vibration can do.

Return to “Just Aircraft”