135 hp. Rotax 915 scheduled for release in 2017

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

135 hp. Rotax 915 scheduled for release in 2017

Post by FlyerChief »

It looks like Rotax has been listening to customers who have been asking for a more powerful engine. I'm sure the work Ronnie and a few others have been doing turbocharging the 912s has something to do with it. Turbo and fuel injection too... things are looking up at Rotax.
Dan
http://www.rotax-owner.com/en/rotax-blog/item/43-915is
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Re: 135 hp. Rotax 915 scheduled for release in 2017

Post by R Rinker »

Undoubtedly Rotax will price it out of any reasonable investment for our type of aircraft, totally defeating our agenda financially.
What is really exciting is the is Superior Air Gemini engine. I'm astounded by the totally brilliant (hopefully) design. It's at http://www.geminidiesel.aero/aviation/a ... advantages
Really too much to summarize here: just wanted to say it is supposed to turn 4000 rpm and geared to 2500 for that ultimate prop rpm. High diesel torque and 20% (or so) more efficient than gasoline.
Unlike the aloof and anemic UL management team, it seems to be a major American company serious about getting it done and working with in their words "...a leading engine developer to improve on the basic design and create the new Gemini series diesel engines. And because it has been created for today’s aviation needs, Gemini’s unique (to say the least) design eliminates many of the drawbacks of current aircraft diesel engines." Also you can forget 100LL, additives, mogas, lead woes, ethanol etc. for good ole Jet A or diesel. And their saying the 100 horse version is supposed to be $25,000. They are committed to a 125 horse turbo'ed version to be available before too long. These two engines are 3 cylinder, 6 piston, very smooth running (eliminating that harmonic generating design that Rotax, Lyc's and Continental are locked into...several very bigger ones on the boards in future planning..
Certainly the time has come..too good to be true that it might all be happening before we die at last.

Could it now be possible that if this is really happening, it could shock Rotax and others where we can see some fruits of realistic pricing in true competition where we actually have customer service and support?
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Rotax states on their website:

<snip>
Selected Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) will receive the first Rotax 915 iS prototype aircraft engines as of August 2016 to be installed into their respective airplanes. In total more than 40 aircraft manufacturers have confirmed the Design-In of the Rotax 915 iS aircraft engine.
<snip>

Does anyone know if Just Aircraft is participating in this early adoption?
Super Stol Kit #299
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

For a paltry sum of $10 less than a TSIO-550 it can be yours. Fully un-certified even!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Good evening Roger,
I've searched everything available for the Gemini for months. From my searches nothing has changed since Sun & Fun 2015. If you have anymore information that I'm missing, please pass it on. I will be at OSH this year for the first industry expo in about 5 years due to my job. I will not be ready for an engine to 2017 at a minimum. So, either option will be an option.

Impatiently waiting,

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
warlev
Seasoned Member

Post by warlev »

Don't forget the Jabiru 3300. 125 HP, priced very reasonable, 2000 hour TBO and a real airplane engine!!!
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

And if you could gear the Jab down 1.4 or maybe 1.5 to 1, you could turn a real propeller with it too...
:lol:
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I personally like the reliability of the Rotax, There are not as many of the of Jab engines. Rotax has them in the Predator Drones, which leads to the Strong Arm of Military on the Sub-Contractor constantly working to improve the Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF).
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Paul Z wrote:I personally like the reliability of the Rotax, There are not as many of the of Jab engines. Rotax has them in the Predator Drones, which leads to the Strong Arm of Military on the Sub-Contractor constantly working to improve the Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF).
Not sure I would look at anything the government "improves" as a factor in the decision of a major purchase.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BadAssBushCraft

Post by BadAssBushCraft »

The EdgePerformance turbo/efi conversion works extremely well making 154 dynoed hp easily. All 912 -914 series can be upgraded to this system. Very happy with mine.
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

BadAssBushCraft wrote:The EdgePerformance turbo/efi conversion works extremely well making 154 dynoed hp easily. All 912 -914 series can be upgraded to this system. Very happy with mine.
I've spent a bunch of time on their site looking at the efi conversions and turbos. 154 hp from a 912 is a serious claim. If it's indeed an honest 154 horses it's got to be a monster. Can you tell us how much more it weighs over the stock 912 ULS? Fuel consumption? Recommended TBO? Do you have the big bore kit as well? Last but not least, what would it cost me to convert my 912ULS into something that makes 154 horses?

I like the idea of more horse power.
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

danerazz wrote:
Paul Z wrote:I personally like the reliability of the Rotax, There are not as many of the of Jab engines. Rotax has them in the Predator Drones, which leads to the Strong Arm of Military on the Sub-Contractor constantly working to improve the Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF).
Not sure I would look at anything the government "improves" as a factor in the decision of a major purchase.
Each to their own opinion, I worked defense industry for years, as a Chief Engineer. I personally feel they have done a pretty good job with the Rotax as compared to the Contenental or Lycomming.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A

Return to “Just Aircraft”