ELT

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

ELT

Post by jjacky »

Hi All...Time to buy yer old ELT and I'm wondering if ya-all have any preferences.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
alan
Veteran Member

Re: ELT

Post by alan »

Brand probably doesn't matter much.

Make sure to get one that has 121.5mhz and 243mhz. The 243mhz is satellite based and can zero the searchers in to less than 100 yards of your emergency.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

Jay,
I've installed several of the ACK E-04 ELTS, including my own. They seem to be good units and come with all the options. (antenna, coax, remote, and audio alarm)
I have only had one glitch (on mine during a routine check) when it gave a 'three beeps' error (low RF power). I sent the unit to ACK (less battery) and they reworked it -no charge.

You should interface the ELT with your GPS to have current position information in the ELT buffer so that it has a head start on getting it's internal GPS to lock on, in the event of a crash.
These new 406 MHz ELTS are the right way to go----

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

alan wrote:Brand probably doesn't matter much.

Make sure to get one that has 121.5mhz and 243mhz. The 243mhz is satellite based and can zero the searchers in to less than 100 yards of your emergency.

Alan
Think you meant 406Mhz. 243Mhz is UHF Military Distress Freq

Certain ELT beacons will transmit on all three frequencies at the same time.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Yes, 406. oops!
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Wes wrote:
You should interface the ELT with your GPS to have current position information in the ELT buffer so that it has a head start on getting it's internal GPS to lock on, in the event of a crash.
These new 406 MHz ELTS are the right way to go----

Wes
The E-04 does NOT have an internal GPS, it just transmits on the SAR satellite freq and the satellites can find a relatively close position (according to the mfr, 1-2 hours to a fix within a couple miles). It DOES accept a GPS signal (almost ANY GPS, you can use a serial GPS puck for less than $100, or even cheaper a serial GPS breakout board meant for micro controllers for about $40, or interface it with whatever you use for navigation). This gives it a nice Lat-Lon to send as a data burst when the ELT is activated and SAR will almost instantly (10 minutes or less within 300 feet) know where you are.

The ELT does not need a GPS to operate, but it can really zero search crews in.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

OK, I stand corrected. thanks Dane----
Apparently the ELT E-04 has no internal GPS receiver, so it really relies on the interfaced GPS data to narrow down the search position.
So even though the 406 satellites do a much better job of locating the downed aircraft, it would make sense to have the ELT transmit a relatively current GPS position.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Return to “Just Aircraft”