Trailer Plans / Kits

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Trailer Plans / Kits

Post by Ewalk02 »

Guys, I'm looking to get a trailer for my Highlander but I'd like to build it myself. Does anyone know where I can find plans or a kit for an enclosed trailer large enough for the Highlander? If not, does anyone want to sell a trailer?

Brian
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
marl59
Seasoned Member

Re: Trailer Plans / Kits

Post by marl59 »

Brian,
I bought a boat trailer from a guy that upgraded to a heavier duty trailer for his fishing boat. I took the boat running gear off and built a pressure treated deck on the trailer and skinned the deck with diamond aluminum plate. I bought a 3500 lb remote operated ATV winch. The deck size is 8' wide x 16' long. My taildragger Highlander fits on it very well. The whole project cost me about $2,500. The boat trailer has tandem wheels and disc surge brakes. Its not covered though. If I would have wanted that I would have made the deck 8'-6" wide to have a little more room to get it in without scuffing things up. Don't have any pics but I'll work on it.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

There's a video on youtube called "Trailering a Highlander Airplane" posted by Frank Caruso. The video was posted in 2009. There is a member of this forum who identifies himself as ftcaruso. If you look at his profile he has a link to a web page about his airplane, etc.

http://www.haveplanewilltravel.info/Main.htm.

His profile page indicates his last submission on the forum was in April 2015. He lists his email on his forum profile page. You might try contacting him.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Here are some photos of a homage trailer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

Thats a sweet trailer but I really would like to build an enclosed trailer so that it can be a hanger as well.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

I believe there was someone advertising highlander trailers on the forum. The admin might be able to find his posts. He seems to be very good at that. Joe B
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

Aerotrek markets a trailer for their planes that is large enough and in the long run cheaper to buy than build.
Av8r3400
donRNO

Post by donRNO »

If you end up with an enclosed trailer, be sure to take into account that the wing's leading edges are subject to rubbing on the trailer walls. There's not a lot of clearance, and tiedowns usually allow movement. If you'd like I could send a pic of such damage.
Don in Reno
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Is tail first (like in the picture) really the best way to tow the airplane?
Super Stol Kit #299
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

If you tow it nose first the open wing roots and turtle deck areas scoop air into the structure causing covering detachment. Tail first is much better. Put some kind of cover over your instrument panel.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Here is an Enclosed Trailer that looks nice. There is a man that travels the US with his plane and he said he uses a trailer like this. I personally like the Tent addition he has so when you park on a long trip you have a nice place to camp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A

Return to “Just Aircraft”