Tricycle Main Gear Fusalage penatration

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Tricycle Main Gear Fusalage penatration

Post by jjacky »

Hi All. I'm in the process of mounting the main gear on my tricycle configured Highlander. Where the axle penetrates the fabric on either side has become a real headache. How did you"trike" guys finish that area? Jak has some good ideas but I need to explore thew options a little bit...and photo's would be Great!....Thanks!
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Re: Tricycle Main Gear Fusalage penatration

Post by mhcrowder »

Are you using the Grove landing gear? or the Standard bungie landing gear? Sounds like the aluminum Grove landing gear.

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Yes...a big o wad of Grove gear. Looks very similar to yours.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Ok, just wanted to clarify.

Sounds like you've got the fabric holes cut, and trying to figure out how to close up the holes? We spent a whole lot of time trying to figure how "big" to make the lower bow (or keel as Jak called it). We also spent a lot of time with poster board templates trying to see how "big" the hole was going to be to allow the landing gear to be passed through the openings and not tear anything. We're still a long way from that point and sounds like we've had the same conversations with Jak as you have. I've scoured the internet looking for Grove Tri-Gear Highlander pictures. Although I've found a few, none with enough detail to see finishing techniques. If you come across any good ideas, by all means pass them along.

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Wasn't the original factory aircraft, known as "Juliet Alpha", converted to Grove gear? Is that still around the factory?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Thanks guys... Last night the epiphany angle whacked me on the head with two pieces of Al. angle....and I'm "poster boarding" the idea now...I'll post pictures for your review ASAP.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Here is a photo of a rough template for the Grove Gear fabric glue plate. The "2X" areas are doublers. The Adel clamps are placed in their approx. positions but they'll go on the other side and the rubber will be removed. All edges will be covered with two layers of chafing tape. The plate is big enough to accommodate cuffs (down the road). The hole for the gear penetration can be pretty tight because this end only moves 0.01 inches when the gear is fully depressed. I measured this at 1 inch of depression in the middle. Grove reps said the maximum depression is 0.75".
(I watch their demo on the web which shows way more than 0.75" so I asked three different reps and the owner and he said the demo was entirely different setup and weight and the answer is 0.75 "). Need your comments and recommendations....THANKS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Based on your design, it looks like you're going to make the Grove gear non-removable? We spent a lot of time playing with opening size and bottom stringer distances to allow the gear to be removed for covering and installed later. This design was discussed with Jak when we pickup up our kit and I think it is how he did his Highlander. I've asked him for pictures but was never able to get him to take any. Here's an old picture during the design stages. Metal fabric backer plates will have to be fabricated as well as cover plates. We're still trying to figure out how to keep the cold winter air out.
IMG_20150815_212949449_sm.jpg
==
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Building Highlander #371
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Maybe this is completely off the wall, but... NASCAR teams use a repair tape on their cars, and it stays on at 200+ mph. Perhaps something like that would provide sealing and improved aerodynamics, and still allow ready access for inspection. There might even be a transparent version that would allow visual inspection without removal.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

NASCAR repair tape....interesting stuff. 11"x30" is easily available... https://www.amazon.com/ISC-X-Flex-Repai ... B00DHSGIO4.

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Thanks Guys. ..Hey Sonex your garage looks just like mine! ;>)...and you are right...my undercarriage will not be removable unless the fabric is cut away. I've modified the plate so its lighter and not so...ah...ugly .....and will post some pics when its complete....bird
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Hey Sonex....One thing you might consider is modeling a cuff that will surround your undercarriage and cover the hole. Then your local 3D printer guy should be able to scan and print it quickly and fairly inexpensively.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Thanks. Lots of "clean-up" items TBD. Problem is, I've got too many irons in the fire already! :lol:

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

jjacky,

Have you covered your fuselage yet? And how did the Grove gear modification work out? We're trying to figure out all the intricacies about covering the landing gear area with the Grove gear. If you've covered yours I'd love to see pictures. Did Jak ever send you any pictures on how he did his?

We are also worried about cold air getting into that area causing uncomfortable flying conditions. My previous airplane had some major airleaks that blew air directly on my hand, causing me to wear gloves even in moderate temperatures.

--
Michael
Building Highlander #371

Return to “Just Aircraft”