Routing Hoses and Electrical lines

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Routing Hoses and Electrical lines

Post by jjacky »

I'm laying-in the fuel, hydraulic and electrical lines through the fuselage. There are many ways to do this. I'm leaning toward natures anatomical model, running things up the middle, but what are you guys seeing...doing?
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Re: Routing Hoses and Electrical lines

Post by FlyerChief »

Like you said, there are a lot of ways to do it, but I ran mine up the middle using the double zip-tie method. Use one zip-tie (cable tie) to fasten a second one to the standoffs that hold the bottom stringer in place. Position them half way between the floor boards and the fabric, then tighten up the first cable tie around the standoff to hold the second one in place. Now make a loose loop with the second cable tie and use the loops to run all the wires through. Repeat at each standoff. Once the wires are all run, tighten up the second set of ties to hold all the wires in a neat bundle out of the way, yet supported at every standoff. I put the wires on one side and the brake lines, etc. on the other side of the standoffs. It works well, looks neat, and is easily modified if more wires need to be added.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Great idea using loose loops until it's time to batten down the hatches...Thanks Dan.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hey Dan, Any chance of a picture of that setup?

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I will see what I can do... It's all under the floor now, but I may be able to see one of the standoffs under the seats... If so, I will get a photo or two when I head to the hangar this weekend and post it. If not, I may have to pull off a floor panel or two to get a picture. It seems that I never specifically took a photo of that for my build log.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I'm doing the same thing now. Going up the middle is pretty much the only way to run your wire without it being exposed somewhere. You might want to take the extra time to make the floorboards in your cargo area removable so you can get to anything that is running underneath them. Also, you may consider covering your wires with wire loom to give them a little extra protection. If you use wire loom make sure you get the kind with the grey stripe. It costs a little more but much better quality and will hold up much better than the standard kind. When I'm running wire I secure them with twist ties like these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-8-in- ... /203894538

It keeps things organized and makes it easy to add, move wires in a bundle. When everything is done I change our the twist ties for zip ties or padded clamps as needed.

To get wires from my firewall to the panel I used 1/2" x 3/4" angle aluminum to make little attach points that will mount behind the boot cowl tabs. I'll finish with vinyl covered metal clamps and the wires will be covered with wire loom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Bruce,
I tried taking a picture under and behind the seat, but it was difficult to get a good shot there. I will pull a floor panel next time I'm at the hangar to see if I can get a better photo for you.
Dan
Wire Standoffs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”