Replaced the turtle deck with FLAT glass

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tony Armour
Forum Regular

Replaced the turtle deck with FLAT glass

Post by Tony Armour »

Right now I am folding the wings on my SS in order to keep both airplanes in the same hanger. Even though the turtle deck had 1/4 turn fasteners on three sides, there were still around 10 machine screws at the top. It only took an extra five to seven minutes to remove or reinstall but that was a decent percentage of total time spent. With it flat, there is an opening into the cockpit of around two inches. There is very little air movement, maybe just a little coming in but very little. I added two aluminum cross braces with Adele clamps (added the rear brace after pic was taken) I used the rear 1/4 turn fasteners and then plastic zip ties everywhere else.
Now the wings fold without having to bother with the turtle deck. It's hard to get a good picture of glass and everyone probably knows what they look like with no turtle deck LOL.
I also relocated the com antenna from the aluminum turtle deck to the rear outer corner of the copilot fuel tank cover (also tripled the aluminum right under the antenna)
The com works much better now but I wonder if I had a coax issue before.
I do love the better visibility. Makes me wish that I had glass quarter Windows.

Unfolding the wings solo.....not so easy. I cut a pice of PVC pipe about 5' notched one end to fit the strut and put a point on the other end to grab on the asphalt. The hard part is the wing doesn't line up if pushed all the way forward. Trying to figure out how to do a "stop" there at the pin. I have to push all the way and then let a touch of pressure off to get the holes to line up. Removing the pin to fold is easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Armour
Forum Regular

Re: Replaced the turtle deck with FLAT glass

Post by Tony Armour »

Another note on the opening. The only way rain could get in is if on the ground and the wind was blowing from the rear. The top overlaps the new glass.

Parking the SS in the hanger is an easy one man job too. I have marks on the floor. Roll the SS front tire inside the mark/box and then swing the tail in. I don't even look. If the front left tire is in the box, nothing will hit.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

I assume the standard method for retention
of the leading edge of the turtle deck is to
capture it between the rear bent brace & the
green house/wind shield lexan. I added a 3/4"
wide spacer of lexan there to give the leading
edge of the turtle deck a place to go.

All that to say, that I have no fasteners at the
leading edge. I only have 7 winged quarter turns.
I rent a half tee so I am have to fold the wings
to put her up, as well. I can see the additional
work for you to remove or install those
fasteners, but I don't recall anyone doing that
at the factory while I was building Lima Charlie
there.

Cool Idea! I don't see how I would make that
work for what I want back there, but I will
certainly ponder on it next time I'm at the
hanger.

Later!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Tony Armour
Forum Regular

Post by Tony Armour »

Mine was built at the factory but not by the factory. I recall the owner saying something about trying to stop the rattle of the turtle deck when taxi or doing a run-up......that might have been why the screws where added at the front of the deck. I haven't paid attention to see how others attach.

Based on rattles I see now, I believe their issue was not the turtle deck but it is the glass top, mostly when doing a run-up. No issues in flight.

Return to “Just Aircraft”