Central Georgia rural airport and camping

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
wln

Central Georgia rural airport and camping

Post by wln »

Looking to push out a 2000-2500 ft strip on my property once all timber is cut in three yrs. Very rural area with no power on the property at this time but may have one day. I will be putting up a barn for equipment that could serve as a hanger. I thought about opening it up to anyone who would like to come in and use a grass field and camp. Is there any liability that I need to be aware of?
moving2time
Veteran Member

Re: Central Georgia rural airport and camping

Post by moving2time »

Contact the (RAF) Recreational Aviation Foundation. People are donating their rural airstrips to the RAF and they maintain and promote the airstrips for public recreational use. Each state has a representative. Look up Georgia's representative and give that person a call. They organize work parties to provide maintenance and build airstrips on the land. There are many stories of the owners of the land hosting build parties, maintenance parties, and fly-ins at these rural airports. The land owners still live on or next to the strips in many cases. I recently attended one here in Ohio and we had more than 20 pilots fly in and camp over a long weekend. The owner went out of his way to host the fly-in and everyone had a great time. Check it out. It may not be what you were looking for but maybe it will work for you and maybe it will have the answers you are looking for in your situation. Joe B
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Just checked the web site. theRAF.org The Georgia liaison is Eric Davis, 404-423-3842, edavis@theraf.org. Lookes like there are two liaisons in Georgia. One of them can best explain what the RAF is all about. Definitely go through the web site.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Go to the Advocacy tab and then cursor over the "Recreational Use Statutes" entry and then click on "Aviation Specific Statutes by State." Open the "Georgia" link and a document of Georgia's recreational statutes will open with a complete discussion of liability and many other relevant topics. Good luck. Joe B
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

moving2time wrote:Contact the (RAF) Recreational Aviation Foundation...
moving2time wrote:Just checked the web site...
moving2time wrote:Go to the Advocacy tab...
Good job, Joe -- that kind of help is one of the things that makes this forum such a great asset. Big thumbs up! :mrgreen:
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
wln

Post by wln »

Thanks Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to have my own airstrip and think others would enjoy it as well.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Glad I could be of service for once. I just happened to get involved in a field in Ohio this summer so the timing was coincidental. JoeB

Return to “Just Aircraft”