New SS built in Austin/TX

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
duc900mhr

New SS built in Austin/TX

Post by duc900mhr »

Howdy

Long time reader in this forum, starting now with my own built. I bought my kit from another forum member in WA who never started on it but bought a new plane instead (thanks again Mike).

Not decided on the engine yet - while the 'classic' 912ULS seems to be bulletproof and a great overall engine, there is a very interesting engine available from D-Motor in Belgium called LF-39. 6 cylinder, very compact (side valve) , water cooled, fuel injected (w/ lambda probe), direct drive with 125hp@3'100rpm, slightly less at 2,800rpm, running with Mogas 91. Also redundant ECU, nikasil treated cylinders, etc. Total weight installed only a few pounds over the 912 ULS.

I plan to cover the airplane with Oratex, very reasonable priced if you buy in Germany and ship it to the US! Hope to save a lot of time and some weight with it.

Minimal panel, mainly with Ilevil AW3 and Ipad(s), and a GRT 4/6000 for engine information, not decided on radio and transponder yet. I really like the built from Keith Showalter, which leaves a lot of empty space left and right to see through the clear side panels.

All suggestions, ideas, comments highly appreciated! And be prepared to get some questions in near future :)

Heiri
wln

Re: New SS built in Austin/TX

Post by wln »

Who did you order your oratex fabric through? i want to use oratex but have not ordered yet.

Loren
duc900mhr

Post by duc900mhr »

When you order Oratex through a different country, the price might be much different - if you need more information shoot me a PM
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

duc900mhr wrote:Howdy

Long time reader in this forum, starting now with my own built. I bought my kit from another forum member in WA who never started on it but bought a new plane instead (thanks again Mike).

Not decided on the engine yet - while the 'classic' 912ULS seems to be bulletproof and a great overall engine, there is a very interesting engine available from D-Motor in Belgium called LF-39. 6 cylinder, very compact (side valve) , water cooled, fuel injected (w/ lambda probe), direct drive with 125hp@3'100rpm, slightly less at 2,800rpm, running with Mogas 91. Also redundant ECU, nikasil treated cylinders, etc. Total weight installed only a few pounds over the 912 ULS.

I plan to cover the airplane with Oratex, very reasonable priced if you buy in Germany and ship it to the US! Hope to save a lot of time and some weight with it.

Minimal panel, mainly with Ilevil AW3 and Ipad(s), and a GRT 4/6000 for engine information, not decided on radio and transponder yet. I really like the built from Keith Showalter, which leaves a lot of empty space left and right to see through the clear side panels.

All suggestions, ideas, comments highly appreciated! And be prepared to get some questions in near future :)

Heiri

Build it light light light and you'll love it. Keeping the weight off is so much harder than you might think. It's so easy to think "oh well, it's only 2lbs it won't matter", eventually those 2 lbs turn into 50lbs. I really enjoyed the building process. Congrats and welcome to the best club ever. I put a bone stock 912 in mine and haven't had the slightest problems with it. For me the reliability is pretty important considering some of the mountains and rough country I'm flying in. I was flying yesterday with a 180hp Supercub and Airframes 3 place cub and was almost keeping up if I pushed it. We all want more speed and HP but I think it's so much easier when you're starting with a light airplane.

Rob and I are working on a few things to try to eek a couple more miles an hour out of the airplanes, we'll see how it goes. I really can't complain honestly, my airplane operational costs are a quarter of a big supercub and I go way further on a tank of fuel. I put my brother and a giant stack of hunting/camping gear in my airplane and flew down into Prince William Sound deer hunting, landing way up high etc. still going where cubs can't go without slats and upgraded gear. I've got just under 150 hours on my airplane so far and I'm still amazed at what it'll do. More fun than should be legal!
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

I have been following the D-Motor since they showed up on line. I didn't get to Oshkosh this year so I don't know what the latest news is but they have been very slow to get engines out flying and it is not very clear what is holding them up. The engine looks good but it would really take a running engine in something like a Highlander to check out and really make a comparison for me. I used to check their web site regularly looking for updates on getting their engine in the air but they have been so slow that I don't think I have looked for about a year now. If you install one I would love to check it out. Keep us updated. Joe B
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Welcome
and congrats!!

Wise advice someone gave me - "Get it flying, then experiment"
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Howdy to another Texan from Garland, where did you order your Oratex Fabric? I would be interested in the source.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

Hi folks. I would be surprised if you could order Oratex from other than Better Aircraft Fabrics. I'm especially sure you would not want to do that. When I needed extra glue, I called Lars and had it in Wallhalla in three days from Germany no less. Any questions I had were only a phone call away. Don't try to cut corners on this one. If you like Oratex, which I do, get it from Lars.
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
duc900mhr

Post by duc900mhr »

Looks like I stired up the 'Oratex' pot a little bit too much, and that was never my intention.

Lars, as the official distributor, is doing a great job, promoting the product, and serving his customers almost 24/7. He built up a reputable company, and is living his product. When you buy at betteraircraftfabric, you'll get all these benefits included.

As with a lot of products, there are different prices in different countries. There is a reason that you can get the same pill in Canada 5x cheaper than in the US. Liability insurance cost, taxes, import/export papers, support, trade shows etc can significantly increase or decrease the cost of a product. And it also can work the other way around. If you buy a product not in your country, you have to decide for yourself if the advantages outweigh the disdvantages. In this case it works for me, but probably not for anybody else.

Heiri
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Here is a HighLander with Oratex. Pretty bird.
http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/pho ... ouard.html

Oratex will help in keeping your Plane light, I wouldn't hesitate using it. I would also think of using Rib Stitching versus rivets. I wonder what the weight difference would be if any? I need to start counting rivets & washers.

Seeing that you are in Austin, & I am in Dallas, I'd love to drive down and see your project.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

They also have a photo of a Super STOL with Oratex. I am partial to the Yellow Highlander.

http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/pho ... rstol.html
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”