Ameri-king dethroned??

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Ameri-king dethroned??

Post by Augustus »

Anybody want to guess what's going on with Ameri-King ELTs? The trail seems to get cold in March of this year. I am not the only builder that placed the ELT way back in the tail before covering the aircraft (with an inspection hole) to access the unit for inspection and eventual battery replacement. Actual replacement of my AK-451 might involve some slashing of fabric unless I can train a ferret to do the job. Actually another inspection hole would probably suffice which I really do not want to do.

Is there any hope for Ameri-King?
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Ameri-king dethroned??

Post by SheepdogRD »

I have an Ameri-King ELT, too, Ed. Nothing I read looks good for them. I suspect they'll disappear, and we'll end up replacing our units.

Here's the FAA letter from March 2016: https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/pro ... 460018.pdf.

I haven't seen an order requiring that Ameri-King ELTs be taken out of operation in non-type-certificated aircraft, so we're sort of okay for a while. But we may be facing relatively onerous testing and frequent re-testing requirements. We'll have to see what the FAA does, and how our units test out.

About your fabric: making an opening in that Oratex shouldn't be too bad, according to the Better Aircraft Fabric website. It says "Oratex is very easy to repair, even in the field. A patch can easily be glued over a tear". Call 'em.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

My avionics guy at Brant Aero says he can test and re-tag them for use, but he is not allowed to repair them because of the "inferior parts" used to make it originally. I was able to replace the batteries in mine and re-certify it to keep it going.(At least for a little while yet I hope.)
The long term prospects for the AK units definitely do not look good at this point.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

Thanks for your responses, folks. As my neighbor once told me, "You (that would be I) have too much time on your hands."

There is a bit of soap opera going on here as evidenced by Ameri-King's response to the 6/03/2106 FAA Proposed Rule:

(a) the issuance of the Order was brought about by a single
whistleblower complaint to the FAA by a former employee who had no design,
production or quality control responsibilities, whatsoever, and who, among
other things, apparently lied to the FAA and staged photographic evidence. It is
very clear that this whistle blower used the FAA complaint process to bolster his
wrongful termination of employment claim;
(2) the FAA did not afford, and has never afforded, Ameri-King the
opportunity to respond to these spurious charges; and
(3) the Cease and Desist Order is currently under a judicial challenge.
https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -6673-0007
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET

Return to “Just Aircraft”