Last float video until spring

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Last float video until spring

Post by gkremers »

This Saturday morning is like most for me, fly somewhere for breakfast and meet up with some friends. On my way down the lake looked so nice I had to splash in quick before heading to Plainwell. The floats are coming this coming weekend, back to wheels and skis for 4 months or so.

https://vimeo.com/194271310

Gary
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Last float video until spring

Post by gkremers »

Supposed to be coming OFF.... :?
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Gary,
Great video... it looks like you had a bit of fun there. I'm a little jealous... my floats came off about 4 weeks ago and I did a couple of weeks of farm bustin' on the bush wheels before bringing her home to do my annual and other scheduled maintenance. I did have a great year on floats though with over 140 hours on the floats and another 10 hours on wheels this year. We are very blessed to live in this part of the world with so many lakes and rivers to enjoy. I'm already looking forward to the 2017 float flying season. Maybe we'll get lucky and have someone from the sunny south post some float flying videos to help us get through our northern winter. :wink:
Looking forward to seeing a few skiing videos in your Highlander too.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Gary, what is the object on your Left Wing Strut that is right in front of your camera on the this video? The only thing I can guess is maybe a mirror pointed at the floats for reference. Otherwise I have no idea. Nice video. At first I thought that you did not retract the nose gear but it appears to be further extended in the final landing on pavement. I didn't realize it didn't go further in when retracted. Thanks. Wanna be float plan pilot. Joe B
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Joe,
Yes.... it's the mirror for the float so you can confirm up/down main gear. There are also LED indicators on the panel that confirm each gear is up or down. I'm a newbie when it comes to float flying but having a great time learning the ropes. I think I do at least 4 or 5 Gear checks before landing!!!

Gary
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Gary, When would you be switching back to floats in the Spring? I talked to you a couple of times hoping to fly out for a visit to check out the gas shock gear you had mounted on your Highlander. Unfortunately my CUB suffered an engine issue that required an overhaul that has kept me grounded since February. Still not back in the air but down to a couple of minor items and I should be back up and flying. Would you go directly to the floats now that you are flying them or would you spend some time on the main gear before going back to the floats. Haven't com,e across anything in my area with the gas shock mods and I would really like to see how they perform. I plan to sell the CUB next Fall and build a Highlander over the Winter. The tandem seating in the CUB really isn't for me and I want to get a Highlander flying before I get any older! Joe B
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Joe,
I'll be on wheels and skis until Spring. Depending on the temps I hope to get the floats back on in April. I'll try and get some video of the gear in action. If your in my area let me know?

Gary
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

What another great video Gary. Just beautiful of your Highlander amphib over some gorgeous scenery. Really makes me wish for spring. Your Highlander looks like it performs exceptionally well on those floats.

And I am really glad to see more interest in flying Highlanders on floats. They are great airplanes in pretty much any mode, but flying them on floats is truly a great experience.

Return to “Just Aircraft”