SuperSTOL Float Fittings

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
kenryan
Veteran Member

SuperSTOL Float Fittings

Post by kenryan »

I'm getting to where I am going to be ready to cover the fuselage pretty soon. Before I do, I'd like to know if there is a float kit for the SuperSTOL. If not, can anybody tell me what would be good to do now, before the fuselage is covered?
Super Stol Kit #299
alan
Veteran Member

Re: SuperSTOL Float Fittings

Post by alan »

Route your battery wires and your fuel hose, making sure to allow them to be changed every 5 years or so. Don't do like me and wire tie them securely in place. :-/

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Ken,
On the Highlander the front and rear landing gear fittings are used for the float attachment points. Assuming the weight and balance on the Super STOL and Highlander are reasonably close you should be able to weld fittings at those locations. I would check with Jak for his input on this but if you want to come out take measurements on my air frame your welcome to do that. I think most people are using the Zenair fittings made for the Kitox. I haven't checked to see if those fittings will fit the Highlander without modification but at some time in the future I plan to do that. I haven't heard of anyone putting floats on a Super STOL. If someone has I hope they will step up and share their knowledge with you.

I'll give you a call when I get back.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Ken,
You should call Jak or Troy for there input. Somewhere I read Troy did not recommend floats on the Super STOL. That was several years ago so I would go directly to the source. If you get the OK from them I would also weld fittings for the rudder cables, keeps them closer to the fuselage.

Gary
accent air
Seasoned Member

Post by accent air »

Hey give me a call I can go over the options with you thanks Kris griewahn 727-249-6109
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Thanks Kris. I will call.
Super Stol Kit #299
Damien1309

Post by Damien1309 »

Just for clarity. What is the latest on floats on the superstol? For us it would be a nice option. Does anybody know why it wasn't recommended and whether it is now? Has anybody done it?

Thanks
Damien
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Originally Troy said no to floats on the Super STOL. But since then he's changed his mind and said with some minor mods it will work. I'd recommend checking with the factory for details.

Also fwiw, there is a guy in Russia that is flying a Super STOL on floats and he has videos of it on you tube.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

I have seen pics of the Siberian SS on floats, does anyone else have pics of their SS on floats?...I'm building a SS and will eventually have it on and off floats. Love to see some pics.

Return to “Just Aircraft”