Builder log

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Builder log

Post by orenjr »

Would any of you share your hours logged in building a superstol?
Thanks! Oren
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Re: Builder log

Post by scubarider2 »

Escapade/Highlander hybrid.....750 hours build time
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Thanks!
Do you or anyone else have a breakdown of hours for each phase?
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I kept a log of every hour I worked. Too much to post here and I did it by hand not on the computer.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I have no idea how much time I have spent, and I don't want to know.

Also, I will NEVER add up all the receipts for everything. I think I would cry.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

danerazz wrote:... I will NEVER add up all the receipts for everything. I think I would cry.
That's what I thought, too. But I'm close enough to the end of the build that I decided it was time to explore insurance. It turns out that I have a lot of money invested in what is not yet considered an airplane, because it hasn't flown. If the house burns, and the almost-an-airplane goes with it, I'll be insured only for the amount of the receipts I have.

Well, the receipts are in a file in the room next to the workshop. They'd go up in flames, too. So I'm getting them organized and stored in a portable firesafe. And I'm going to get receipts for the stuff I swapped for, or paid cash for, even if they're just hand-written.

If things continue as planned, I'll never have to add up those receipts. N7340Z will fly and be insured as an airplane at a stated hull value. But if the house burns and I have to file a claim, I'll have receipts to add up... after the crying stops. :(
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Here's a link to my build log.
mykitlog.com/jnealon
It shows the total time, so far. I'm just finishing up the panel and electrical system now. The hours logged do not include the time spent looking for something I just had in my hand five minutes ago. My kit log also has an expense log feature that does not appear on the website. So far I'm at $26,000 and change not including the cost of the kit. The only major expense I have left is an ELT and a little paint for the cowling, turtledeck and trim pieces.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I loosely added things up and it doesn't seem as bad as I thought, but the countless aircraft spruce orders and other miscellaneous $100 orders surely add up, not sure what they add up to, but they add up. Only expensive things I have left are paint, prop, and hoses/hose fittings. Finally making good progress again! The radial highlander will fly, would love to say this year but next spring is more likely, too much already on my plate for this summer.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”