200HP Super STOL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

200HP Super STOL

Post by Tralika »

Well this should be interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FdFpV_MCCA
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BucF16
Veteran Member

Re: 200HP Super STOL

Post by BucF16 »

WoW, We are all looking for the silver bullet to get into the at 50% faster off the ground. I'm sure there are other options to the Rotax family. I've been waiting for Superior air parts and the Gemini, and Steve Henry"s Apex. (so far my favorite). but, I'm willing to entertain anything,,,,,except I'm finished being a test pilot! Have it wrung out or I'm not flying It!
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Bruce, Just curious. What makes the Apex less of a test flight than the Viking? Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure how I will feel about the Apex but I do like the RX-1. However, either of these have way less time in the air than the Viking. The 200 HP Viking certainly is not the engine for me. I am not interested in that kind of horsepower or complication in an aircraft engine and it will burn way to much fuel for me. However, the Viking 130 is looking very attractive. However, they are all experimental. The only engine I would not call experimental is the Titan but then that is also way more engine than I am interested in flying. I just don't see why you are calling the Viking a test flight and not the Apex. BTW, I'm from Lorain County. You building or flying? Joe B
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

As far as I know, this plane has not flown with the new engine yet. I wonder how the weight and balance worked out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Good morning Joe. I just finished a FULL page response to your very good questions on my, not so well thought out post, on the Viking 200 engine. BUT as I pressed submit, it was lost to cyberspace. So sorry, but here are the "Cliffnotes" version. I have performed 3 first flights on experimental aircraft. 1 Pitts S1-C Lycoming O-235, Engined failed on final approach. 2, Christen Eagle AEIO-360 delightful flight. 3, Christen Eagle AEIO-360, partial engine failure at 400 ft. on first T/O, I limped it around to landing. Since these were new legacy engines, one would expect a good out come. So I'll be very cautious on my next "First Flight".

You are correct About the other options. I have spoken to Steve about his Yamaha engines, and he seems very excited about them. I don't know if he will offer a turnkey firewall fwd option, but that is all I'll consider. As for the Viking, I've had many chats with Max Rentz (BlueMax) about his Viking 110. It links very nice. I am however still leery about Eigenfeller and his past Subaru issues. BUT that was quite a few years ago, and Viking SEEMS to be getting some share of the market. That leaves the obvious; Rotax $$$$$$$$$. As pilots we took an oath that we would be cheep! :mrgreen: Most of you all have chosen this option, whether Ronnie's Big Bore, stock 912ULS, 914, or some are waiting for the 130hp to be delivered his summer.

I still have some time to choose. I'll be at OSH this year, and give another look at the options.

Joe, do you still live on Ohio?

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Bruce, I am currently flying a J3 CUB out of 92D in Lagrange Ohio which is 10 miles south of KLPR Lorain County Regional. My current plan is to sell the CUB in the Fall and buy a Highlander kit with the hopes of getting back in the air sometime in the summer of 2018. I really don't want to miss the 2018 season but we will see if I can get'r done by then. I talked to Max a few years ago. Last I heard he still hadn't started building his Highlander. I have talked with Steve Henry a number of times including in person at Oshkosh. I like the RX1 engine and might consider it but I am leery of the Apex engine. The Viking 130 is also a good contender. I haven't had the opportunity to fly behind the Viking 130 yet and I never got a chance to fly behind the 110 either despite trying several times. There is a guy in Ashland with a Zenith 750 that is ready to fly that has a Viking 130 installed so perhaps I can wrangle a flight with him but he will need to put his 40 hours on the air frame first so he may not be able till take people up till next year. I respect Steve's opinion and experience so I would give the RX1 some serious thought. My biggest concern there is that I just don't know how hard it would be to find a viable engine. Personally I have no interest in a Rotax even though I learned to fly behind one in a Flight Design CT. I don't know of any other Highlanders in northern Ohio. Such is life. I just hope I can build my Highlander in 9 months while keeping my job! Take care. Joe B

Return to “Just Aircraft”