Floats are back on!!

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Floats are back on!!

Post by gkremers »

It's still a little chilly in Michigan but the floats are back on for the season. Should be a great summer to start exploring.

Gary
N325AB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
messenger
Seasoned Member

Re: Floats are back on!!

Post by messenger »

what is overall height of highlander on floats, if I put mine on floats , hangar height will be the only issue. by the way yours looks really good on floats. Rob Messenger
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Rob,
I'm sure they are all a little different, Mine is 9' 3" to the top of the rudder.

Gary
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

thanks, I have 9ft 10 in clearance for my hangar, so maybe. R L Messenger
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Glad to see your enthusiasm for flying floats. I have a few friends that pick on me for always wanting to fly my planes on floats verses wheels like they do. I always tell them if they tried float flying they'd prefer floats too :wink:

That sure is a great looking Highlander amphib Gary. And based on what you shared with us last year, it's also a great performer. I noticed in your pancake breakfast video that you cruise around at 100 mph around 5300 rpm. That's a really nice number for a 100 hp amphib. These Highlanders are nice planes that can do pretty much anything.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi guys,
You are right Paul, there's nothing quite like the Highlander on floats! My floats are back on too and I'm looking forward to more great adventures in 2017.
Maybe we will all get to meet up at Oshkosh this year.
Dan
IMG_20170519_125455.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Dan,
Enjoy the float flying season.

Gary
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Thanks Gary... you too!!! I think it's going to be another great year for float flying!

Some info for Rob Messenger... I believe mine is one of the tallest Highlanders on floats at just over 9' 6", so you shouldn't have a problem with a 9' 10" door.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Hey Dan, glad to hear you're ready to go with your floats too. It would be really great to see you at OSH. I hope that works out for you.

Your FireChief Highlander hanging there without the gear actually looks pretty streamlined...hmmmm? A Highlander retract? :roll:

Nah, floats are still more fun.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

:lol: LOL...
Funny you should mention that Paul ... Kitfox Junky said the same thing. That's his K4 in the second photo in the hangar.
Retracts would be interesting, but I think a lot of fairing would be required as would a flat bottom wing in order to make the retracts pay off in higher airspeed.
That's something to try in the next lifetime... or maybe for someone who doesn't fly floats... :wink:
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

If you guys are going to be at Oshkosh with your floats then I am going to need to get over to the Sea Base to take a closer look. They just opened up a couple of lakes in Ohio to float planes. It may be more useful than I originally thought. Joe B
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Which lakes were opened? I've been online looking since last year, since Ohio ODNR was willing to Reverse the draconian restrictions, Have I missed the announcement?

I WILL Have amfibs, for the summer, on my Highlander, if Ohio changes the Seaplane restrictions!

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

You might try the float plane organization. They are probably more on top of it than anyone else. I have a friend in Southern Ohio that was on all of them in Ohio last year except Sandusky Bay. He was reported to the police already by someone and they contacted him. Local authorities have not received any notification at all. I will send him a text and see if he can send me a list. There was onlyl about 5 or 6 locations opened up so far. Joe B
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

I'll bo that thanks!
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Here you go, from the horse's web page:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Op ... -Area.aspx

And as a former Ohioan, this is one thing I hated! Absolutely stupid that this is even a conversation! The ban was just lazy legislating by people who don't understand what they are regulating.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”