Windshield Brackets

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Windshield Brackets

Post by Tralika »

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the build manual I think I have to double down on my blood pressure pills. Does the front windshield bracket mount with the long side in contact with the windshield as shown in the first photo or the short side in contact with the windshield as shown in the second photo? Also, does the width need to be trimmed to clear the wing spar? Either way it's mounted it looks like a very tight fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Windshield Brackets

Post by danerazz »

It goes on like the lower picture, I had to trim it a little to get it to fit flush. Make sure the top surface is on the same plane as the false ribs so the sunroof/windshield lays flat across.

I quit looking at the manual a long time ago. I only really used it for some specific measurements and a few assembly details. Otherwise I am so far off the reservation with mods and customization it isn't applicable to my airplane so much.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

As delivered, the front bracket is configured for a one-piece windshield and sunroof. Some builders (including me) prefer to separate them and make a sunroof bracket that rivets to the back of the front windshield bracket. Here's a picture from Steve Dentz that shows how the two brackets look together, seen from the left end of the assembly.
Sunroof bracket_1.jpg
Using separate windshield and sunroof means we need a join strip to cover the junction between them. Its leading and trailing edges are formed, like the brackets. Front and rear rows of fasteners go through the aluminum/Lexan/aluminum sandwich.

If you like gadgets, here's the one I use to form the edges: the Cleaveland Edge Forming Tool, http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Edge-Form ... TElauvyu00.
Cleaveland Tool Edge Former.jpg
Set it for the thickness of the material, and simply pull it down the edge. It works on curved panels, too. You get a nice break that strengthens the edge, keeps it straight when it's fastened down, and keeps the airstream from getting under it. Here's a video on setting and using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbAEuFbFaco.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Thanks for the reply's. I'm getting near the end of the build. The old "90% done only half way to go".
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I had the same issue with the manual

Call the Factory and ask for the Highlander Manual

They will tell you that they are the same - They are NOT THE SAME.

There is ALOT of info and pictures that are in the Highlander manual that IS NOT in the SS Manual.

And tell them to update the manual again

I am writing down page numbers and stuff left out as I go - so they can fix it
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

BDA wrote: And tell them to update the manual again

I am writing down page numbers and stuff left out as I go - so they can fix it

Eh, you're taking all the fun out of figuring stuff out.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

BDA,
I have both the old and new Highlander Build Manuals. There are no detailed photos of the front or rear windshield brackets in either manual. The only reference to the front or rear windshield brackets is to rivet the windshield to them, nothing on how to install them. Good luck on getting the build manual improved. The folks at Just are always very helpful when I've called them but I wish they would have invested in a good technical writer to go through the manual. I'm getting near the end now so it's a little late for me. It's my impression that most kit plane manufacturer's build manuals have room for improvement. Thanks to the help on the forum my windshield brackets are fitted and painted now. As soon as the paint is good and dry I'LL get them riveted in place and then do the rough fit on the windshield, then the boot cowl, then the engine cowl. I'm almost out of parts, Wahoo!
Thanks again for the help,
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

Hey John, I'm not sure if you meant it the way I read it but if you did then hold up a minute. All three of the fiberglass cowl pieces should be fitted together before the WHOLE ASSEMBLY is fitted to the fuselage. You'll get a better fit that way.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Tralika wrote:I have both the old and new Highlander Build Manuals. <<SNIP>> Good luck on getting the build manual improved. The folks at Just are always very helpful when I've called them but I wish they would have invested in a good technical writer to go through the manual. I'm getting near the end now so it's a little late for me. It's my impression that most kit plane manufacturer's build manuals have room for improvement. <<SNIPP>>
Me and my build partner have had the same type of issues. Just a little more detail, a few more detail pictures, and remove obsoleted details would go a long way. Even if they didn't update the manual, but had a continually updated errata sheet of changes and/or updates would go a long way in helping us independent builders from avoiding a lot of already found snafu's, etc. Frustrating is definitely the correct word for it....

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Sonex I AGREE!!

John Congrats - I am right behind you.
come see me when you getterdone!

Buddy and the Crew have been super helpful, always taking the extra time to help make sure I have it right. Very very thankful for that.

But the manual needs help, can we start a thumbtacked thread here for the changes and picture that need to go in it?

One for Super Stol and one for Highlander?

MODERATOR??
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I think that has been discussed before. What needs to happen is somebody far more organized than me needs to just write an unofficial manual, one of the serial offenders would be best. I would love to do it, but I can barely get my own build documented. Plus I've made so many changes it would be irrelevant to most.

These kits really are pretty straight forward, the amount of documentation required to actually get one together is fairly minimal.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I would like to see your changes - if they are not top secret.

I will stop hijacking this thread now
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

It just has to do with hanging a 220lb radial engine on the nose.

For instance, moved a lot of stuff to the tail, made a new, re shaped firewall and aluminum boot cowl that covers everything back to the front of the doors. Made a dry sump oil tank on the back side of the firewall. Made a completely different cowl to cover the back half of the engine. New, 3 gallon header tank. Electric fuel pump near header tank outlet. New rounded top of instrument panel to match the boot cowl/firewall shape.

Really, anything that touches the engine systems has been redesigned. I also have the radios mounted in the tail, as well as the battery. All of that is just foreword of the tail wheel.

The wings and tail are stock, except for my flap return springs :D
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Quote "Set it for the thickness of the material, and simply pull it down the edge. It works on curved panels, too. You get a nice break that strengthens the edge, keeps it straight when it's fastened down, and keeps the airstream from getting under it. Here's a video on setting and using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbAEuFbFaco.

Would you guys PLEASE stop posting tool gadgets! I'm running out of money! :mrgreen: :D

Bruce

Buy the way. That tool works great!
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”