ELT & transponder antenna mounts

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

ELT & transponder antenna mounts

Post by KevinC »

Just wondering what folks have done/are planning for mounting these antennae.  I've heard a fair amount of discussion at Oshkosh of mounting the elt ant internally, but haven't seen any yet.  What are you'all doing?

Kevin
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I mounted the ELT antenna on the forward edge of the tray I made for the ELT. The antenna is internal and the DAR thought it was fine.  The ELT tests fine.  I would however run the ELT cable (the one to the panel mounted remote) as far away from all the other wires as possible.  I have a strange problem that when I switch off the master the ELT triggers.

I put the transponder antenna on the fuselage, aft of the turtledeck.  I made a small plate, riveted it to the stringer and made a couple braces to support the edge.  It needs to be fairly close to the center line to allow the wings to fold and clear the flaps.  Seems to work fine, the antenna does not stick up too high, plane still fits into a 7' tall garage door.

utpa001
Forum Regular

Post by utpa001 »

Wouldn't it be better to mount the transponder antenna on the bottom of the airplane?  I suppose it's not an all aluminum airplane to block the signal though.

Tim
Tim
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I considered the bottom of the craft for the com antenna.  That is where all of the sticks and rocks will be.  I just didnt like it sticking down.

I think it would work just fine behind the gear.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Looks like you may have the AmeriKing AK 450 ELT. I'm thinking it looks good for the price & functions. Anybody seen anything superior?
DaveU wrote:I mounted the ELT antenna on the forward edge of the tray I made for the ELT. The antenna is internal and the DAR thought it was fine.  The ELT tests fine.  I would however run the ELT cable (the one to the panel mounted remote) as far away from all the other wires as possible.  I have a strange problem that when I switch off the master the ELT triggers.

I put the transponder antenna on the fuselage, aft of the turtledeck.  I made a small plate, riveted it to the stringer and made a couple braces to support the edge.  It needs to be fairly close to the center line to allow the wings to fold and clear the flaps.  Seems to work fine, the antenna does not stick up too high, plane still fits into a 7' tall garage door.

Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Jamie suggested the AmeriKing so thats what I bought, too.
I mounted it similar to the picture.

I haven't gotten to the transponder yet.

Johnny C!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

What guage aluminum did you use? Looks good so far.
DaveU wrote:I mounted the ELT antenna on the forward edge of the tray I made for the ELT. The antenna is internal and the DAR thought it was fine.  The ELT tests fine.  I would however run the ELT cable (the one to the panel mounted remote) as far away from all the other wires as possible.  I have a strange problem that when I switch off the master the ELT triggers.

Return to “Just Aircraft”