Matco brakes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Matco brakes

Post by DaveU »

Where are people positioning the caliper on the Highlander with the 8.50 x 6 tires?  I had them on the back of the wheel, below center.  After the inspection following the first flight I see that the tire is rubbing the inside brake pad.  Not good.

I have now moved them around to the front above center, but there is not a lot of room for the caliper to float before it rubs the gear leg.

What and where are others doing?

Thanks.
KevinC
Veteran Member

brake position

Post by KevinC »

Dave,

Don't know if this helps, but I took this picture of the factory Highlander at Oshkosh.

Kevin
Gerald V9

Matco Brakes

Post by Gerald V9 »

Yo Dave,
    Yes I'm attempting to peck out a reply on the keyboard.  Hello, I'm Gerald V9 owner of highlander #125 and I am in the process of solving the same issues that you addressed.  The plan is to attach new Matco axles (a3a) to the Just axles by removing the existing brake attachment plate, cutting the existing axle short and having a 1/2 inch thick 4130 mounting plate welded on.  This should allow the brake caliper to be located above and behind centerpoint and permit use of Matco spacers, to space the rotor out an aditional 1/2 inch to preclude rub against the tires.  I'll try to include pictures of the process as soon as I can figure out how to.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

I talked to George at Matco. He said they get a lot of these calls. Would be no problem if the matco axle was used in the first place.
Will fly for food!!
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I positioned my calipers just like the ones in the picture, just because they didn't seem to fit any other way.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

Hi Guys!
I have forwarded the information that many are having with the axles, threads and tire rubbing to Gary and Troy at the Just Aircraft factory. I had also asked them why they do not use the Matco axles on the Highlander gear. Troy called me this moring and told me that they are not using the Matco axles on the Highlander because they are aluminum, and that he prefers the stronger chromoly steel axles. They cut the threads in house, there at the factory with a 1 1/4" x 16 cutter,  and Troy mentioned that he would go and check the setup to verify that it is correct. He called back a little later and said that the thread cutter is set up correctly, and told me that they have 30 axles ready at this time, and he ran a nut on all of them by hand. Troy asked me to mention also that if the nut is not turning easlily on the threads, then to lube the axle threads and use some "elbow grease" to run the nut up on the threads a time or three. If anyone damages them, he said Just Aircraft would reapair or replace free of charge.

Concerning the tire rubbing problems, Troy told me that to space the brake calipers properly, you MUST have the spacers that are supplied with the kit, along with THREE washers. If you did not recieve them, please let the factory know so they can get them out to you ASAP. He also mentioned that only TWO bolts are used to mount the calipers, even though there are four holes on the bracket, so don't bend your brain trying to use all four. Also, the corners may need to be gound down some if needed for interference purposes. The build manual will hopefully be revised shortly with better instructions and photos showing and explaining the proper procedures. Troy aslo urges anyone that has problems, or questions to please give him a call. Troy and the rest of the Just Aircraft gang do not like to hear of builders having problems, so please give them a call with questions, concerns and/or ideas. I hope this helps.

Happy building and flying everyone!

Stan Bearup
www.justkitplanes.com
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

I re-did my wheels tonight and addressed the rubbing calipers as best I could.  As usual, the bolts were missing but luckily my $100 kit from LEAF came to the rescue.  I also got the special spacer from JA over this week.  It puts about 1 inch between the inside of the axle and the inboard bearings.  The the wheel and more bearings.  The other side though may have me confused.  I had to use 6 washers on the brake disk to get enough clearance for the tire.  Mind you I'm running the 26" tires but I'm slightly concerned about the six washers between the disk and the wheel.  I will assume the above e-mail was refering to the 1 inch spacer on the other side of the axle that pushed the tire out the other way as the comment about"you must use the spacers from the kit" and the other three mentioned were equivelent to my six I needed to add.  Am I missing something?  Anyway it all works and looks correct but wanted someones elses opinion.  I mounted the calipers on the lower front of each axle.  Two 1/ 4 bolts hold the brake assembly in place.  BTW, we were talking about the EZ-Turn the other day.  I wound up picking up some off brand sealer that does the same thing at the local auto parts store.  It worked great for 1/3 the price plus no shipping.

Return to “Just Aircraft”