What Happened to Just Aircraft?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

What Happened to Just Aircraft?

Post by Clark in AZ »

No Just Aircraft news from Oshkosh? Anyone there willing to post some pics of Highlanders or Superstols and tell us whats going on? :(
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: What Happened to Just Aircraft?

Post by danerazz »

I was only at Oshkosh for two days, but there were a whole bunch of super stols and several Highlanders. I didn't see anything revolutionary at Just, but there were some beautiful examples of craftsmanship that makes me ashamed of some of my work!

Sorry, no pictures but hopefully somebody will pick up my slack.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

I'm unloading the RV. I'll get you all some PIXs later today or in the morning It was good though. They have, what I call, "The Flying Harley"! on display (half built). I'll have to have one of these!!

PIXs later
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Wow, I have over 100 pictures, all of components (to aid in the construction of my Highlander). Only 1 pic of an aircraft, Coltin Brown's Olive Drab Highlander. My Son Robby is in front of it to illustrate how high it sits on the Beringer gear struts.
RobbyJ.jpg
If I can figure how to attach a video file on this site, I will do so. It shows how Coltin's Highlander used just over 2 plane lengths of turf to get airborne. He has a straight 912uls without NOX. The other (non-competition types) Highlanders and SStols took twice as much. After thinking about it a while, I think the Beringer Gear struts play a major role in his takeoff distance. We all know that just above stall speed is the first opportunity to get airborne. That corresponds to critical angle of attack. From what 'Ive seen the Beringer gear system gets our Highlanders closer to that angle. Coltin's Highlander with his higher deck angle, will have a sooner opportunity to get airborne, over other aircraft, because they need a higher airspeed to get in the airborne. Their sitting 3 point attitude is a lower angle of attack, therefore needs more speed to create the same lift. Thoughts?

In other news, Just has a single seat prototype fuselage on its gear (no wings) with a 30 something hp engine hanging on it. When I sat in it, it felt like I was on a Harley Hog! Way Cool :mrgreen: I'm sure all AAL pilots junior to me, what me to buy one. :wink:

I anyone has more info on it, please post it here.

Cheers,
Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Builder web site:
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

One interesting bit of news, they had an ultralight fuselage at their booth. They are apparently considering producing and ultralight STOL. Can't believe I didn't take any pix of it...... :roll:
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Bruce I think you are right about the angle of attack and short take offs. I have Beringer gear on my Highlander too and it does take off shorter when I have a little more pressure in the shocks which gives me more angle of attack. The last night of our competition I had let my shock pressure down and it made for a real cushy landing but it also hurt my take off distance.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
accent air
Seasoned Member

Post by accent air »

Here is one picture of the superlite ultralight
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
accent air
Seasoned Member

Post by accent air »

Sorry file was to big I will figure out how to make it smaller and repost
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

accent air wrote:Here is one picture of the superlite ultralight
accent air wrote:Sorry file was to big I will figure out how to make it smaller and repost
Oh, what a tease!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hi Steve, I'm sorry we missed each other at OSH. I saw the STOL comp on Tuesday, and that you had the Beringer struts. Unfortunately after watching Coltin fly, the crowd filled in, and I could barely see you land and takeoff. Congrats on the win, even though I couldn't see it :mrgreen:

I think in the end I'll build my Highlander with the leading edge extensions, and the tail wheel shock, that I bought from you, and go with the extreme factory gear. This ought to give me lots of fun for the near term. Later, if I want to WOW the local "Ohio Bush Planes" crew, I'll fork out the $ for the Beringer struts.

Ben, Congrats as well on your Lindy!! It was great to "visit" with you, Dane and Billy. Now out to the barn and get back to building.

Bruce
Builder web site:
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks Ed and Mike, That 's it!
Builder web site:
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

Ben Schneider's SuperSTOL won the Silver Lindy Trophy in the Light Sport class.

Oren Heatwol's SuperSTOL won the Honorable Mention Plaque in the Light Sport class.
Av8r3400
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Regarding discussion about angle of attack shortening takeoff distance:

Back in the early days of Avid Flyers, we learned for the fastest takeoff we just had to hold the stick all the way back in your lap and then push the throttle to the panel, and then pull on full flaps right before the main gear wheels were ready to leave the ground. Going through the process of raising the tail and rotating took more time and distance than holding stick all the way back and using full flaps.

I tried that technique a few times with my Highlander on the standard gear with 8.50 tires and found it reacted much like my old Avid Flyer. So I guess it still works.

Also, fwiw I once watched Troy takeoff in a tri gear Escapade with a 2200 Jabiru (with a short 62 inch prop no less) using that same technique, and I would have never thought you could get one of those off the ground so quickly. Of course he pretty much dragged the tail because it was a tri gear with small tires. But again it took off shorter than many big tired Highlanders I've seen using the other technique. So I'm thinking whatever you can do to get a higher angle of attack on takeoff will do the job. Hmmmm? Maybe that's why Frank Knapp and his Lil' Cub uses a flat tail skid? Maybe we should have an option for a roller skate wheel rather than a tailspring and tailwheel (LOL)

My disclaimer, I am no Steve Henry. So take this for what it's worth.

Return to “Just Aircraft”