Flying the Highlander on Floats

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Flying the Highlander on Floats

Post by FlyerChief »

I recently shared this info with a couple of respected members of this forum and they said I should post it for the members interested in putting their Highlanders on floats, so here goes...

I had a request a couple of months ago from Zenair to write a short article to be placed beside their ad in the Aviator's Hotline magazine distributed at Oshkosh. Apparently, they liked it and it was published in that magazine. The link can be found here... http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/444 ... 44022a2/38
Last month they contacted me again and asked if Aviation Digest could re-title it and publish it in the September issue as a general interest story in the seaplane section. I agreed and that can be found here... http://www.aviation-digest.com/Current_issue_.html#13
The first one is the easiest one to read and has the best photos!

The article was not intended to be technical in any way, just an easy read that would generate interest in seaplanes and float flying as well as point out that building a set of floats can be done by anyone with some basic skills. I hope you enjoy it.
Regards,
Dan
Highlander #241
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Flying the Highlander on Floats

Post by SheepdogRD »

That's a well-written article, Dan. Good job.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
joe49

Post by joe49 »

Good article.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Outstanding article Dan! With Ohio opening up it's reservoirs to water landings, I would like to explore this area of aviation.
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Great inspiring article! I've been considering floats for my Highlander since I started building. I live on a river, the kids are gone, the house remodel is done....perhaps it is time!

Your article prompts one question: how much did the insurance go up? :shock:

k
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the great comments on the article!
Kevin,
The premium on the full in-motion hull coverage pretty much doubled with the amphibs on. With straight floats it was going to be about 40-50% more. It's a good idea to shop around, especially if you are new to floats or float flying since the number of hours you have on them will make a difference in the premium charged by different insurance companies. Some insurers will even put special restrictions on covering them only after you complete a number of hours with an instructor. As I get more time on them my premium has been coming down each year at renewal time by 10% or more per year. I'm not sure when or how much it will level off at, but sometimes you just have to pay to play. :lol:
Regards,
Dan
PS: Wish I lived on a river too... my plane is about a 40 minute drive from home. :roll:
It sounds like you are in an ideal position to make use of some floats. :)
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Hi Dan,
Great article. My plane was in last months issue of Water Flying, just a picture under the Snap Shots section. Hard to believe another float season is almost over. :(

Gary
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

A great article Dan. It really does a nice job of showing how great it is to have floats, and amphibious capability. Many people don't think about that, so your article may help nudge a few of them into our camp :D

Of course, the Highlander is probably one of, if not the best choice to convert to an amphib LSA. These are just such versatile airplanes...
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Thanks Gary and Paul for the positive comments,
Here are a few more photos to help convince anyone sitting on the fence!
Dan
Mini-Gaggle Sept 17-17.jpg
IMG_1794DanO_DEPLR.JPG
Long Point - Lake Erie.jpg
DSC_8213a.jpg
DSCF5027.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
z987k
Forum Regular

Post by z987k »

Can anyone give me the height of their highlander from the bottom of the floats to the tallest point? Need to make sure my door is tall enough for winter storage. Straight floats, not amphib.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Mine is 2.9 meters... just a little over 9' 6" at the tail when it's on wheels and I believe it's one of the taller ones.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

If concerned about tail being too high in hangar, just build a dolley for each nosewheel. It is amazing how a few inches at the nose can lower the tail a couple feet.

Dan, those are some great pictures!

Return to “Just Aircraft”