Making my own grass strip runway

Got Plane on the Brain? Grab a 'cold drink' and converse about anything concerning aviation. Opinions, interests, questions. Join the group and talk about it here.
**NO TECHNICAL DISCUSSIONS HERE, PLEASE POST IN THE APPROPRIATE TECH FORUM**
Ben

Making my own grass strip runway

Post by Ben »

I'm soon going to put in my hangar and make a grass strip. My property has both Coastal and Bahia. I was planning on just cutting a long swath with a bush hog. What other prep should I do?
Thanks,
Ben
Steven Phillabaum

Post by Steven Phillabaum »

I wouldn't do anything without proof rolling the strip area you are going to use. First cut the "weeds" as short as you can then using a large truck like a dump loaded down, have someone drive it and you watch the tires. If the ground sinks down and then PUMPS back up your soil is unstable and your strip wont last. (I am not talking about sinking in like in mud) Also Bahai grass is coarse personally I would use Bermuda seed blended with fine masons sand. In 10 days you will start to see a runway.
How much area do you have for a runway?
Steven Phillabaum
Ben

choosing a runway location

Post by Ben »

Hi,
Well, I have a couple of choices. One of my pastures is about 2500 feet long (75 acres) and the other is about 2000, (50 acres) and they are both pretty flat. The longer of the two is in Coastal and the other in Bahia. I like the smaller of the two better because it has a stream running through it, a stocked pond plus another 40 acres in pine off to the side. I'm planning on selling part of it to finance the hangar and house... wish I could, but I can't keep it all!
Ben
shorty

Post by shorty »

I'd use th' Longer of th' two. Due to the Coastal. You can crop it close and not kill it.  Instead of selling the rest as a whole, just sell a couple of "lakefront lots" and keep the rest.

Thanx
       Shorty

Return to “Hangar Flying”