Matco MC 5 Brake Cylinders

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Matco MC 5 Brake Cylinders

Post by Tralika »

I installed the Matco MC 5 brake cylinders that came with my Highlander kit. These cylinders have an internal brake fluid reservoir which seems like a good idea. However they must be installed nearly vertical because the top of the cylinder/reservoir is not sealed. My Highlander has the Extreme Landing Gear option (6 inches longer) which gives it a fairly nose high attitude when on the ground. The MC 5 cylinders have been leaking oil since I put brake fluid in them. I spoke to Matco today, they say the cylinders can be no more than 20 degrees from vertical. Since there is nothing to keep the rudder pedals from sagging to the rear when not in use, the cylinders will always be way beyond 20 degrees when the plane is not in cruise flight. So, the MC 5 cylinders are not really going to work with a conventional gear aircraft, especially a Highlander or Super STOL. It would have been nice to know this in advance. Now I'll have to install a pair of MC 4's and a remote reservoir. You can see my temporary solution in the photo, strips of absorbent pads zip tied around the cylinders. If you have MC 5 brakes cylinders don't bother installing them.

On a happier note I'm going to weigh my plane tomorrow. Almost done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Matco MC 5 Brake Cylinders

Post by danerazz »

I saw a spec that says they are full when fluid is 1/4" below the cap. I am still working on trying to figure out a clean pedal return system, but there is quite a lot of drag in the pedal bar...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

In my first PittsI had similar type brakes. It had springs that returned the peddles and keeps the rudder cables taught. I am not to that point yet on my highlander to try to figure it out, but I knew I'd either have to, or ditch the -5s for a set of -4s and a reservoir. Below is a Pic of Ben Schneider's setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I actually made springs for the rudder pedals, but there is a little too much drag in the rudder bar bushings due to slight misalignment. I don't want to make bigger springs due to manufacturing difficulties of winding 1/8" wire, so I will try to smooth out the rudder action. Unfortunately it is pretty low on the priority list.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Well Dane, When you are ready, I am! I'll be over to assist.

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I put in an eye bolt on each side and used a small, very short, bungee, that is doubled, attached to the rudder pedals to keep the pedals upright. It has worked perfectly for more than eleven years. Of course, I have a Highlander with the first generation gear and tires, so this probably wouldn't help you with your Super STOL. Just a thought.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

When I built my Highlander a few years ago, I called Matco Mfg. to inquire about the brakes. They advised me to switch to the separate master cylinder, which I did and have had no issues since. They also took the old ones in trade since they were unused and could be sold as new to someone else. I don't know if they would do that once they have been installed but it's likely worth the call.
Matco also recommended the 1/8" brake lines over the 1/4", saying there was better braking power. I switched over and have found there is enough braking power with single calipers using the 1/8" lines. My reservoir installation looks similar to Ben's with it mounted on the inside of the firewall just over the brake pedals on the pilot side.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford

Return to “Just Aircraft”