Firewall Forward

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Firewall Forward

Post by BucF16 »

I'm wanting to install a lot of stuff that are included in the engine "kit". Boot cowl, header tank....etc.
So my question, have any of ya'll ordered the firewall forward without the Rotax engine? Also, are the cowling and engine mount included in the firewall forward kit? It does not look like that on the pricing sheet. I don't want an engine until I really really need it. On my last project, I bought my engine too early, and it rusted and I had to overhaul at 150 hours into the flight test. I never know when I will to be pulled off on a project at my company, and it may take a year or two. So no rusting engines in my hangar.
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Re: Firewall Forward

Post by mhcrowder »

When we bought our kit, the cowl and engine mount were priced separately. We have not purchased anything else firewall forward, waiting for the time when we'll "need" the engine.

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

My kit came with a cowling and small header tank but no engine or engine mount. I think it makes sense to wait until you are ready to install the engine to buy one. You might save a few bucks on shipping by buying everything at the same time but as you experienced, leaving an engine in storage for a long time is not a good idea. I'm sure the folks at Just will work with you.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Hey Bruce,

I bought just some parts out of the FWF kit, as I had a used engine I was planning to use initially and I wanted to get it hung on the fuselage to start fitting things up. I ended up selling that engine for exactly the reasons you listed (project was progressing far slower than I planned).
They have a parts list if the FWF, have them email it to you, and you can pick what you want to order seperately, and Im sure they will send to you. Once I got to the engine install, I got my engine directly from Ronnie Smith, and then ordered the rest of the FWF kit. Also, I believe the engine mount and cowl are still a separate line item that is not included with the FWF.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”