Another panel question...

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Another panel question...

Post by av8rps »

I really would like to use one of the bigger 10 inch EFIS units in the new panel I'm going to make for my Highlander, but am thinking to install just one 10" EFIS in the center of the panel so it can be used from either seat position.

Have any of you placed a single screen like that in the middle? If so, what are the pros and cons of doing so?

(I'd love to put one EFIS in front of both the pilot and passenger, but that will result in a 10k+ instrument panel that my loving wife would not appreciate even though she would then have her very own EFIS in front of her. :wink: )
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Another panel question...

Post by gkremers »

Paul,
Just my observation on the EFIS placement. Mine is not directly in front of me, offset to the right (only 3.5" off center). I really don't look at it that much during flight so I don't think placing it in the center is a big deal. If I was flying this plane on instruments I'd like it to be as close to directly in front of me as possible. For the type of flying I do with the Highlander it's just not that big of a deal. The panel isn't that wide, the EIS is in front of the co-pilot and I can see it easily.

IMG_0967.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hi Paul, with my Cub, I have Zero instruments. I intend to fly on Highlander the same. However, there will be the occasion where I'll want a special VFR at get into AirMac conditions. Therefore, I will put an iPad in the center being driven by a iLevel BOM.

This mount is intended to look outside! :D

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

IMC conditions. I hate autocorrect :oops:
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

BucF16 wrote:... I will put an iPad in the center being driven by a iLevel BOM...
I'm planning a similar setup. If you use the Levil system with a 10.9 inch iPad screen, then adding a similar screen for your copilot costs $649.

There's an interesting advantage to the Levil setup. The BOM is self-powered. The iPads are plugged in to ship's power, but they'll run for several hours just on their internal batteries. So, even with total electrical failure, the Nav system keeps on going.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

One other comment about using iPads: I'm using two iPad Mini4 displays. That lets me put a display in front of each seat, and gives me about the same amount of screen real estate as a single 10.9" iPad Pro. If I had a single display, I'd likely run it in split-screen mode with EFIS and EMS on one side, and Nav on the other side. Using two smaller screens lets me do the same thing. Where a single 10.9" iPad Pro is $649, two iPad Mini4 units total $798.
Richard Holtz

gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I know this has been hashed over before but!! The IPads are great, I use the mini in the RV10 and Highlander all the time as backup, also love it for the instrument procedures. It does not handle sunlight as well as any of the purpose build EFIS's. I've also had mine overheat and shut down. Also every once in a blue moon the app just shuts down (Foreflight). Not saying it's a bad solution because for the kind of flying most of us do in the Highlander it fits the bill. I know the newer iPads are better in direct sunlight but still not even close to the EFIS screens.

Gary
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I use an iPad EFB at work with jeppessen app. It is okay, but not without flaws. And I used foreflight in the guard, also very good. I certainly feel it is better suited as a charting replacement than a panel replacement. That being said, I don’t think day VFR is a high risk operation even if you had a complete instrumentation failure, as long as you are actually “Day VFR”...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Did they ever start selling the BOM? I though I heard that they put delivery on hold till they could incorporate some additional functionality. Never heard if they started delivering. Joe B
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

moving2time wrote:Did they ever start selling the BOM? I though I heard that they put delivery on hold till they could incorporate some additional functionality. Never heard if they started delivering.
Levil says the BOM will be released before the end of the year.
Richard Holtz

Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

SheepdogRD wrote:Levil says the BOM will be released before the end of the year.
So will the Rotax 915... :roll:

:D :D :D
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Thanks guys for the great input. I admittedly am still torn between using a Dynon or MGL all in one, or an I-Pad or two with iLevil. The obvious advantage of the iLevil is the low cost to do multiple screens, but there are definitely some advantages with the all-in-ones.

And even though I am one of those people that rarely look at my panel when flying my Highlander, I promised myself when I finally build a new panel it will have synthetic vision, so whatever I choose has to have that capability. I hope to do some traveling in my Highlander in the future (not because of its blazing speeds, but because it will be a "go pretty much anywhere flying camper"), and I just want some peace of mind knowing I can get back on the ground if encountering unexpected weather. No, I do not want to fly it IFR as that just isn't my idea of a good time in a Highlander. It's just a little added safety factor that will make me feel better if I run into some some challenging VFR.

Back to my original posting, for those of you flying with synthetic vision, would you see any reason you couldn't fly the plane well with the screen in the center verses directly in front of you?
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Not a problem at all. Just because I can I've flow the Highlander to minimums many times using synthetic vision with Highway in the Sky boxes overlayed (synthetic approach). This was with a a safety pilot in VFR conditions, me under the hood. Everything's happens so slowly in the Highlander it should not be a concern. This all assumes you are comfortable in the environment.

Gary
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Good info Gary. Thank you.

Paul

ps - I sent you a PM

Return to “Just Aircraft”