HOW TO SEE OVER YOUR COWL EASILY

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
av8rps
Veteran Member

HOW TO SEE OVER YOUR COWL EASILY

Post by av8rps »

(I just posted this on the Kitfox forum. But knowing the Highlanders and Super STOLS suffer from forward visibility too, I wanted to share it here also. In fact, we should spread it across the internet so it helps the entire community. So please feel free to share the idea with others you know)

I've had an idea for a few years now but keep forgetting to share it. So here goes;

This morning I was enjoying one of Trent's great videos on You Tube and heard him talking about how impossible it is to see forward when on the ground in his Kitfox due to big tires, extended gear, and the round cowl. That jarred my memory to share my idea of how we can easily gain forward visibility on airplanes that have poor or none forward visibility (remember a few years back where a TBM Avenger taxied "through" a RV-6 at OSH because the TBM had no forward visibility...) Tragic accidents like that don't have to happen. We are in the 20th century.

We need to utilize digital camera video technology to help us see what is in front of us. Why not mount a small camera high in the cabin that shows what you can't see at eye level? Or mount it in or under the cowl, under the gear, out on a wing strut, etc, etc. Anywhere that would give you a view that you otherwise wouldn't have. Then tie that video to a screen somewhere in the plane that you can easily see, like your Dynon, Garmin, an I-pad, or if you have to, even your smart phone. There are also readily available cheap Bluetooth cameras with apps that work with phones and tablets if you don't have a glass panel to tie into.

So we have all these cameras all over and in our plane that give us these mega-cool videos, but we still can't see what is in front of us when we are on the ground? We need to make better use of that technology.

I'm willing to bet this one silly little idea could save a lot of people from having accidents. But as far as I know, no one is doing it.

So maybe the Kitfox community could show the rest of the world how to do it, and help create a safety trend in aviation that is way over due.

Paul
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: HOW TO SEE OVER YOUR COWL EASILY

Post by SheepdogRD »

It's an excellent idea, and there's a SuperSTOL using it. Check out this picture (taken by Paul Alan) of the panel in N762TX, a Titan-powered SSXL, and note the taxicam image in the Dynon display.
N762TX-5.jpg
The taxicam is mounted high on the left wing strut. You can just see it in this Paul Alan picture:
N762TX-1.jpg
N762TX belongs to Hubert Davis of San Antonio, TX. He had it at the Just Plane Fun Fly-In last weekend, where we got to see the taxicam in action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Richard, I must admit Hugh’s SuperSTOL XL is a beautiful bird. I saw it both in Walhalla, and also at Hondo. It was inspiring to see it at the Texas STOL Roundup, considering I just got back from Walhalla and Travelers Rest. I finally bit the bullet, and ordered my own SuperSTOL XL Kit.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

If you go to the first forum on this web site, "Tacked Picture...", "Strasnuts" posted photos of his red Oratex covered SS with the in panel taxi video tied to a camera on his bird. It was posted in 2016. There is a photo of the taxi view on the Glass Panel installed in his panel. Looks good. It is a great idea but it has been out there for awhile now. I couldn't figure out how to post a link to his post. How do you guys do that? It's a nice tool. Joe B
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

moving2time wrote:I couldn't figure out how to post a link to his post. How do you guys do that?
Go to the post you want to reference, and right-click on the title. Click on "Copy link address". Return to your post, click on the spot where you want the link, and click on the "URL" button. It will give you this: "|" with your cursor blinking in the middle of it. Paste (Ctrl-V) the address you copied there.

The post you referenced comes up like this:

viewtopic.php?f=218&t=17021&start=120#p49091

You can do the same with an image. Right-click on the image and use that link address.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Awesome, now that I have learned my one new thing for the day I can go home. Luckily it doesn't have to be relevant to work. "My Rules" Joe B
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Well, I'm impressed to see some already using a camera for forward visibility. I never saw that until it was pointed out here. But now that I see it in use, I really like it. I might do the same when I redo my Highlander panel.
mnwinger
Forum Regular

Post by mnwinger »

A third-party back-up camera kit would work perfect for that. They come with a small adjustable camera and a small screen that can be mounted anywhere. Put one on my truck. Works great! Just started on my Wild West Highlander. Sounds like a good addition to my panel :D
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Please post what cameras you are using and how you like it.

It will be time for me to buy a camera soon.

How about the Zus wireless back up cam?
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Grmin G3X Touch also has the ability to attach a camera. will any aftermarket camera work with a Garmin G3X?
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A

Return to “Just Aircraft”