Old Highlander Flying Again (Now with Yamaha Power)

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Moderator: scubarider2

Old Highlander Flying Again (Now with Yamaha Power)

Postby Copro » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself here. I bought Andy Bell's Highlander last January and have spent the last 10 Months giving it Yamaha Power and getting my pilots license. Most of the highlights for the re-power can be found over on the Avid forum. A special shout out to Steve Henry and Teal Jenkins for all the help with the engine swap over.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/4138-yamaha-rx1-engines/&page=14

I'm now about 7 hours into transition training and the plane is performing very well. Browsed around here a lot, thanks for all the help and info you folks have provided.

Jody

Copro

Re: Old Highlander Flying Again (Now with Yamaha Power)

Postby SheepdogRD » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Welcome, Jody.

What kind of engine did you replace?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N7340Z -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SheepdogRD
Veteran Member

Postby Copro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:02 am

The old engine was a Jabiru 3300
Copro

Postby av8rps » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Welcome Jody! That's a good looking Highlander there... would love to hear how it performs with that powerplant.

Hmmm,,,I keep thinking about selling my "covered and primed" Highlander project, but maybe I should think about finishing that one with a Yamaha motor? Looks like fun with all that extra hp.

Paul S
av8rps
Veteran Member

Postby Copro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Definitely finish it up. Putting the firewall forward together on this was a lot of fun.

I'm not really qualified to discuss performance. I just finished my license a few weeks ago and only have about 8 hours in the highlander. That said my instructor and I are having a good time taming this little beast. With the two of us and full gas it never rolls more than a couple hundred feet or so on take off or landing. Climb out is almost always between 7-900. Right now my top speed is around 90 MPH, but I'm sure hopeful some fiddling with the pitch will add a bit later on.

Plane currently has Luga 72 inch prop, extreme gear, ACME aero shocks, Desser 27 inch bush wheels, and Pekola locking tail wheel. Larger Luga and T3 tail wheel shock coming soon.

Thanks
Jody
Copro

Postby marl59 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Hello Jody,
Welcome to flying and to one of the funnest airplanes on the planet! Thanks for your posts on the Avid Flyer site. I am currently running a 13 year old Rotax 912 ULS and am anticipating re-powering with the RX1. I have a few questions. How many miles did the snowmobile have on it that the engine came out of? Have you had to re-jet the carbs?

If your learning in a Highlander, awesome! Just a friendly note, These planes are so much more maneuverable than just about any other plane that you will fly, especially certified aircraft. They can pull you out of a box that would put most other planes in the trees. I guess this is probably obvious but better said than left unsaid. :D

Take care,
Steve
marl59
Forum Regular

Return to Just Aircraft