Old Highlander Flying Again (Now with Yamaha Power)

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Copro

Old Highlander Flying Again (Now with Yamaha Power)

Post by Copro »

Figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself here. I bought Andy Bell's Highlander last January and have spent the last 10 Months giving it Yamaha Power and getting my pilots license. Most of the highlights for the re-power can be found over on the Avid forum. A special shout out to Steve Henry and Teal Jenkins for all the help with the engine swap over.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php? ... s/&page=14

I'm now about 7 hours into transition training and the plane is performing very well. Browsed around here a lot, thanks for all the help and info you folks have provided.

Jody

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Old Highlander Flying Again (Now with Yamaha Power)

Post by SheepdogRD »

Welcome, Jody.

What kind of engine did you replace?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Copro

Post by Copro »

The old engine was a Jabiru 3300
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Welcome Jody! That's a good looking Highlander there... would love to hear how it performs with that powerplant.

Hmmm,,,I keep thinking about selling my "covered and primed" Highlander project, but maybe I should think about finishing that one with a Yamaha motor? Looks like fun with all that extra hp.

Paul S
Copro

Post by Copro »

Definitely finish it up. Putting the firewall forward together on this was a lot of fun.

I'm not really qualified to discuss performance. I just finished my license a few weeks ago and only have about 8 hours in the highlander. That said my instructor and I are having a good time taming this little beast. With the two of us and full gas it never rolls more than a couple hundred feet or so on take off or landing. Climb out is almost always between 7-900. Right now my top speed is around 90 MPH, but I'm sure hopeful some fiddling with the pitch will add a bit later on.

Plane currently has Luga 72 inch prop, extreme gear, ACME aero shocks, Desser 27 inch bush wheels, and Pekola locking tail wheel. Larger Luga and T3 tail wheel shock coming soon.

Thanks
Jody
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Hello Jody,
Welcome to flying and to one of the funnest airplanes on the planet! Thanks for your posts on the Avid Flyer site. I am currently running a 13 year old Rotax 912 ULS and am anticipating re-powering with the RX1. I have a few questions. How many miles did the snowmobile have on it that the engine came out of? Have you had to re-jet the carbs?

If your learning in a Highlander, awesome! Just a friendly note, These planes are so much more maneuverable than just about any other plane that you will fly, especially certified aircraft. They can pull you out of a box that would put most other planes in the trees. I guess this is probably obvious but better said than left unsaid. :D

Take care,
Steve
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hello Jody, Would you provide and update of you Yamaha?

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Jody, The discussion on the Avid forum does have some good information but there was quite a bit of confrontation going on regarding gear box design and reliability. I have been involved in other forums that have had moments that slip into that kind of banter. Its never fun. The discussion of the dependence on the air box and the RX1 was enlightening. Steve built a new air box on his RX1. Did you do the same? I noticed that you spent some time matching the carb jetting to your install. Was that a complicated task? This kind of conversion is very appealing to me but I don't know if I have the technical know how to pull it off. Things like laying out air flow for the radiator installation is another technical science. Are you getting good air flow through your radiator installation? It would be a blast for you guys to plan a get together at Oshkosh and sit around and discuss with other interested pilots how you worked through the mods and installation. I bet we could fill a pavilion with interested people. Maybe a joint venture between those that have done the installation and guys like Teal that are making parts. JoeB
Copro

Post by Copro »

Update...... I have over 50 hours on my Yamaha powered Highlander. Everything is working just dandy. A couple of small issues, but nothing that hasn't been easy to fix. I had a small I'll leak in a hose that needed to be replaced...... My setup was highly influenced by Steve Henry. He made the motor mount, header, air box, and coolant tank. All my carb setup copied his exactly as of my visit to his place last February or so. I did mount a different radiator, but it seems to be cooling fine. We'll see how it does when the hot days come. I do still need to put the down turned lip in front of it. Truthfully I couldn't be happier, I'm mechanical, but had never touched an airplane before I started this journey. Steve and Teal were great at guiding me through the re power. Hardest part was finding someone to teach me how to fly it.....

Imagine the conversation: Hey I'm almost done with my private. I got this little highlander I repowered with a Yamaha snow machine engine. Wanna help me out with my tail wheel endorsement?
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Hey Jody,
Congrats on the endorsement and in such a great install. And thanks for the tips you've given to me as I'm following in Steve's and your footsteps. Ive got my RX1 engine mounted, throttle conversion working well and starting to mount the radiator. Then on to wiring and finally cowling modifications. Got my Luga prop and cant wait to get this thing working again! Lets go flying!
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Jody, Good for you! To do that repower and then get your license is not very typical, but looks like its working out. Keep us posted as you fly it more.

Marl59, It will be really interesting to hear how that Yamaha compares to a stock 912s (as I recall that is what you had?)

Paul
Copro

Post by Copro »

Just a quick update, over 120 hours now and still going strong.......

Jody

Return to “Just Aircraft”