Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by BDA »

Are we putting money down for preorders on gearboxes yet?
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
MN Snowy1

Post by MN Snowy1 »

I'd bet on Teal's ability to create another winner as well!

But when you talk to him, being the modest guy he is, he'll tell you that it's looking really good so far, but also not to count your chickens before they have hatched.

You gotta appreciate a developer that is not overconfident, and that wouldn't send you something until it has been proven out!
KITFOX 5 (YAMAHA GENESIS RX-1), Full Lotus Floats
Flying spring 2018 (Hopefully!)
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I am making good progress on building my newest Highlander and hope to have it flying within two months from now. I don’t think Teals new gearbox will be ready by then so I am using one of Mohawk Aeros adapters with a Rotax C gearbox at least to start with. I agree that his new gearbox looks very promising. When he’ll gets It built and tested, then I would like to try one. I have been very impressed with the quality of Teals work and also with him as a person. I have been very happy with my RX-1 and the C gearbox on Teals adapter. I am not at all concerned about using the Rotax box on the Apex either. I have quite a few hours on the Apex now running on my test stand complete with the propeller.

The RX-1 and the Apex both use the same motor mounts and exhaust systems. I have built a jig and I build headers and motor mounts for these engines and have them for sale to anyone wishing to use one of these engines on a Just Aircraft. I also build air boxes and surge tanks for the coolant system.

The 914 cowling from Just Aircraft works very well with these engines. I also use their 914 radiator. The oil cooler is built right onto the engine so there is no need to mount or plum a separate oil cooler.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
MN Snowy1

Post by MN Snowy1 »

A quick invite here for anyone interested in Yamaha Aircraft Power.

Steve, through his successes, has opened the door to Yamaha Power in the Fixed Wing world.

Fellow enthusiasts for Yamaha Power have created a Facebook Group where we share info on the latest developments.

Please come join us!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/164864990 ... rce=result
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I'm not sure what's going on with that "Yamaha Aircraft Conversions" link, but it makes my page go fullscreen and uncontrollable. Here's an easier link to the same page, displayed normally: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164864990778457.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

In case any of you are interested I have been putting some things on Facebook of me building this newest Highlander. It’s easier for me to post things on Facebook that it is on here if there’s any pictures or video. Our Facebook page is just called Wild West Aircraft and quite often I put things on my personal Facebook page as well.

I’m covering this one with Oratex and I think I should be all done with covering process by the end of today!!! My friend Ross has covered a couple of carbon Cubs with Oratex and he volunteered to show me how it’s done. So that is been very helpful to quickly learn how to use this stuff. I like it and would use it again. I just love the fact that I don’t have to paint it all and another thing that’s very nice is there’s not nearly so many finishing tapes needed.
MN Snowy1

Post by MN Snowy1 »

LUGA PROPELLER INFORMATION:

With invaluable real world data from Steve Henry, I compiled my notes on Luga Props and posted over in the Yamaha Group.

Here's a link if anyone was interested in more info on these props:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/164864990 ... n__=*s*s-R
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

MN Snowy1, These Facebook links don't seem to work on my device and i am not sure why. What would I search for to find it in Facebook? I need to look for Wild West to find Steve's posts on FB. I had his page saved but since they re-worked Facebook my links to various sites like Wild West are gone. I had one for Mohawk Drive also and that one is also gone. I'm sure there is a simple fix but I have not found it yet. Thanks Joe B
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

moving2time wrote:MN Snowy1, These Facebook links don't seem to work on my device and i am not sure why. What would I search for to find it in Facebook? I need to look for Wild West to find Steve's posts on FB. I had his page saved but since they re-worked Facebook my links to various sites like Wild West are gone. I had one for Mohawk Drive also and that one is also gone. I'm sure there is a simple fix but I have not found it yet. Thanks Joe B
Try this for the Propeller post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1648649 ... 870170969/

Get to Steve Henry's page on FB at "Wild West Aircraft"

Yamaha Aircraft Engines group (focused on Mohawk and run by Greg Mills): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1251356951570824/

Yamaha Aircraft Conversions (open group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1251356951570824/
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Started working on getting my cowling all fit and trimmed today.
I tried to put a photo but as always happens my photos are too big and it won’t post them here.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Steve, your stuff is readily accessible on Facebook. Links to Facebook pages don't always work from this web site for some reason which I why I was asking how to track them down inside Facebook. I think Sheepdog's last post clears up which web site is which. It clarifies that the Greg Mills page is actually different from the Conversions page. That is what I was missing. I found a very easy photo file conversion tool on line but I haven't used it in a while so I don't remember what it was. It was very good for saving the images to a smaller file size for web use. Joe B
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Steve, it's really easy to make your pictures smaller using this link https://pixlr.com. Like all this computer stuff, it's not necessarily easy until someone shows you. Here are some instructions if you are inclined to try it:

1. Go to above link and scroll down to "Pixlr Express" -- click on "Launch Web App"

2. Click on "Browse" - this will open a window showing your computer file system. Click on the file (picture) you want to make smaller and then click "Open."

3. Now you have the picture you want to modify loaded into the program. Click on "Adjustment" and then click on "Resize."

4. Now you will see a little tool for resizing your picture. Notice that there is a little slider bar called "Keep Proportions." Make sure that is slid over to the right. If you don't have that slider bar in the correct position, it is possible to distort your pictures. But if it is in the correct position, you can just change one dimension (height or width) and the other will automatically change to the correct number.

5. With the slider bar in the correct position, change the width to 1020 (example) and notice that the height automatically adjusts to 680 (example). Click "Apply." The picture is now resized and all that's left is to save it to your computer.

6. Click "Save." A window pops up that will allow you to give it a name and adjust the quality. For naming it, you might just want to add "-small" to the original file name. For quality, it is usually fine to just leave the slider bar where it is. Once you have named it and set the quality, click "Save" again.

7. Now the window showing your computer file system pops up again. This will allow you to control which folder you want to put the -small file in. By default it will put it in the same folder as the original, which might be where you want it. When you have it where you want it, click "Save" one more time and you're done.

8. As long as you give the file a different name (by adding -small to the original name) the original file will remain unaltered. But if you don't change the name AND you save it to the same folder as the original, the original file will be written over and you will lose your high quality original photo.

It's a piece of cake once you've done it a couple of times. Takes less than a minute and the size of your pictures will be reduced from megabytes to kilobytes with no reduction in quality (when viewed on this forum).

Once you have that mastered, you might want to look at the "crop" feature. That one allows you to cut out just a portion of a picture and make it the same size as a full picture (for showing a detail).
Super Stol Kit #299
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Or email picture to yourself - choose "small size".( Iphone )
it will work then.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I got my cowling pretty much finished up today including glassing in the scoop in the bottom of it for the radiator.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Steve, A fellow pilot I know built a Glastar and put a Subaru in it. The cowling is quite stuffed so he built some very intricate ducting to get the air to his radiator which is located between the engine and the firewall. The whole assembly is quite complicated. He found that he was not getting the air movement through the system for sufficient cooling and struggled with it for a while. Specially since everything was so tight he couldn't really make the ducting larger in volume. Then he talked to someone that told him to build a small down turned lip on the bottom exit edge of his exit duct below the firewall where the air exited the cowling. Apparently the down turned lip causes low air pressure behind the exit duct which helps pull the air through the scoop. Do you find that you ever have an issue cooling your engines? Do you incorporate anything like this to maximize the air moving through the radiator? I assume that the scoop directs air through your radiator. Jan is mounting the radiator for his Viking installations basically below the bottom of the cowling and adding a scoop to direct the air through his radiator. Sometimes it is hard to get the air to flow the way you want. The down turned lip is a trick I always remembered. As I recall he experimented with the size and angle of a temporary lip to find out what worked best. Through that testing he determined an optimum angle which I don't remember but I can always ask him again. Joe B

Return to “Just Aircraft”