Highlander 393

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Highlander 393

Post by BucF16 »

Just Folks;
I've been undecided on what to do for a build log for some time. Paralysis by analysis! I'm a Mac guy, so Kit Log Pro won't fly (I hate bootcamp et al). Then I thought I'd use this forum. But after seeing a couple of build threads here, I wanted to keep a cleaner format. Ben Schneider's STOLairpland.com web site is excellent, but has a continued cost, my Favorite is boys from Cary NS, which use Google Blogspot's free software. So there I went. I had My entire HVAC system torn out over the last 3 days, and I needed to be at home to oversee the project. So.... I sat down at the Mac a recreated my build over 3 days.

I thank these builders for displaying the work for all to see! You have been very helpful!!!

Kit Log Pro:
John Nealson
Brian Ewert

Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft.com

Ben Schneider, STOLairplane.com

Edward Bodette
Michael Crowder: Highlander371.blogspot.com

I throw mine in for critical review, and to give aid to those who need that 1000 word picture:

http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com

You may fire away here, pro or con, if you wish. I appreciate your input!
Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
BucF16
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander 393

Post by BucF16 »

Oh, since I posted a ton in a short period of time the early/beginning posts are at the bottom under the link "older posts". There is an introduction there.

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

If I were doing a builders log, I are use a Mac. I have a version of the word because it was compatible for work and I prefer it. However, I would recommend using a comparable Word Document (Pages), to document my daily progress. I’m currently doing that on mine and I am embed pictures as required. Once you complete construction you could print out the word document put it in the folder to document you build process. Another option is use this forum to document your build. I am actually doing both with mine. I’m documenting my progress for the forum, and then I use Word and expound on my activities & more pictures.
I start each day with a log entry: date, day the week, - what I did, a picture or 2, and to the number of hours spent.

Example:
12/01/2017 Friday - I installed the elevator hinge interface fairing parts, they are epoxied and taped into place. Now it’s hurry up and wait for the epoxy to dry. I heat formed the leading-edge shape it’s kind a hard to install. I taped in place to get heat gun and warmed it up, I hope it holds in shape. 2.9 hours
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks Paul! You posting your progress on this site will be helpful to many. Whether they can learn from your techniques on building, or just giving a kick in the pants to get out on the shop and work (that was me). 40 years ago when I started building my Acroduster II, I had no clue how to accomplish build tasks. There was no build manual, just a set of plans. I had AC 43 and a couple of EAA books on Acrosport construction. Today we have "Google" Search, Youtube, Vimeo, Ect. But for building a Justaircraft plane, this is the place to be. I know that there are those that don't want the scrutiny that may come when posting their build project, but as I've said here before, we all play well together.

I will do as you. I'm going to use the blogspot as my official log, and then post here those items that I think may be helpful to others, or if I have a question. I have no ego to bruise. If you think I'm screwing up let me know. I'd rather hear it here, and fix it, than later :shock:

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Bruce,
Your build log blog looks good to me. As you know, I used the Mykitlog program and I understand that it won't work for you because your a mac guy. One of the things I liked about it is it was easy to make multiple copies in different formats. I had the log saved on my computer hard drive both in the Mykitlog program format as well as in pdf format. I saved the log on the web that was available to the public. I also saved a pdf copy on a thumbnail drive and printed out a copy. I saved a copy of each entry in all those places as I went along with the build. It may have been overkill to make all of those copies but I didn't want to take a chance of having data disappear. I'm glad I did it that because I had problems with the mykitlog program along the way. The mykitlog program has a manual backup feature. There were several occasions when I had gone for some period of time without doing the manual back up and some of the log entries would just disappear! I was able to recreate the log entries from the pdf backups but it was a real pain in the butt. The program stopped working several times over the four year build process and I had to reload it. I was able to use the back up copy to recover the data. I may have lost a few entries but I could recreate them using the pdf copies. Also, during the inspection the DAR didn't want to see the digital version of the build log, he wanted to see the paper copy. He didn't really look at the log thoroughly, he randomly flipped through a dozen or so entries and took photos of the individual pages. He said it was part of the process he used to document his inspection. Another reason for a paper copy of the build log is that is what the FSDO wanted to see when I applied for my Repairman's Certificate. If I ever sell the plane I assume the buyer will want a copy of the build log. Whether the buyer likes paper or digital I'll have a copy. When I printed out the build log I did it in black & white to save my color ink. I had good color photos on the digital copies of the build log as well as in a separate build photo file saved on the computer hard drive and on a thumbnail drive.

I suggest you make multiple copies of your build log, one of them being paper. Murhpy's Law being what it is, sometimes overkill is a good thing.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

BucF16 wrote:Thanks Paul! You posting your progress on this site will be helpful to many. Whether they can learn from your techniques on building, or just giving a kick in the pants to get out on the shop and work (that was me). 40 years ago when I started building my Acroduster II, I had no clue how to accomplish build tasks. There was no build manual, just a set of plans. I had AC 43 and a couple of EAA books on Acrosport construction. Today we have "Google" Search, Youtube, Vimeo, Ect. But for building a Justaircraft plane, this is the place to be. I know that there are those that don't want the scrutiny that may come when posting their build project, but as I've said here before, we all play well together.

I will do as you. I'm going to use the blogspot as my official log, and then post here those items that I think may be helpful to others, or if I have a question. I have no ego to bruise. If you think I'm screwing up let me know. I'd rather hear it here, and fix it, than later :shock:

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce,
I like your Blog spot. I read through some of it.
We sound similar in experiences. The Prostate cancer was so much fun! I’ve been contemplating using Oratex. However the Cost still makes me quiver. I’m trying to get it done in my lifetime. So, I opted for a builder Assist Program with Wallen Aircraft, which mean I have the added cost just in that, and it’s quite a bit more than the cost of Oratex. I e-Mailed Lars to ordering some samples, and asking some question, I’m waiting for his reply. The addition of a flying tail is adding some weight, that I could more than offset by using the Oratex.
I agree I find these forums to be very useful in keeping my interest focused on getting the tasks gone, and I personally like to post progress just to keep me focused. When I’m working at the airport, I use Apple Notes to start my log entries. I open up my Notes file SuperSTOL Build progress, and start logging notes. I set the iPad on the work bench, select the file, press the microphone, and start talking, the voice recognition types as I speak. Some of the notes what kind of comical to read because it never gets some of my words correct like weather. (Using voice recognition I typed the next sentence.) “Some of the notes what kind of comical to read because it never gets some of my words correct like weather.” It should have read “Some of the notes what kind of comical to read because it never gets some of my words correct like rudder.” I get home, I read, correct the misunderstood words, and make corrections. Inevitably I have to make some corrections because I have a mild stutter, and I get stuck on certain words. Once I have it corrected I copy paste into word, and the insert the photos I’ve taken that day. I hate typing, so this minimizes it, and it is done when I want something added to the log.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

My log is, ah, let’s say less detailed. Technically all you NEED to show is somebody other than a factory built it, which is super easy if the kit is on the FAA “approved” list (Highlanders are).. So my log is just going to be index sheets full of photos showing my work. There is no requirement to log hours spent.

Other than a gee whiz factor, I am not really interested in my total time spent (and certainly don’t want to see total cost).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

danerazz wrote:... and certainly don’t want to see total cost.
Amen!
Super Stol Kit #299
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Looks great Bruce!

And you are very right! There are continued costs with keeping a website up such as mine. I am pretty computer illiterate, but I need to find a way to move my website to somewhere more cost effective. I also should probably actually finish it! :) Ive got way too many irons in the fire.

I did just finish my fuel trailer (well almost, have a couple minor things to do to it (install fuel hose, and mount hose hanger, and battery box) But I did get my first load of Swift UL94 this evening. So about an hour of finishing touches on it, and Ill be done with the damn plastic fuel cans! Pretty excited about that...

[img]
Fuel%20Trailer.JPG
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Very nice! How many gallons does that hold?

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Each tank is 250 gallons completely filled (500 total). I only took 300 total this go round, as if I had a leak, I only have that capacity in another tank I could pump off into if needed. Happy to report, no leaks. I had water tested most of the system, but the tanks are tied together with a 1 1/4" fuel hose underneath, and I didnt have a good way to test that and get every drop of water out afterwards. So I opted not to assemble that portion until I had them drained and dried out. (putting that hose onto the stainless steel barb adapters was a BUGGER!

They are Chem Farm saddle tanks used in agriculture (I live in the middle of Corn country). I repurposed them, polished them up a bit, cleaned them out really really well, and welded a few extra bungs onto the tops for pumps and desicant vents, etc. The trailer was a lucky find on ebay. It was a brand new generator trailer that had the generator removed before it ever went down the road. I bought it so incredibly cheap, I'm too ashamed to tell you, but it was less that the value of the tires... (even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!)

Thank you for the compliment. Swift is sending me a couple decals to put on the side. Ill repost once its 100% complete.
Best,
Ben Schneider
N45FT Now Flying!
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

DAMN! That's one big tank you got there! I saw a fuel trailer this year a OSH and decided to do the same. I bought a trailer frame from Northern Tool (I don't have time to browse Ebay, you lucky Dawg) now looking for a tank. I like your idea for the saddles. Never would of thought that. See, this forum is assume.

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

SuperFly wrote:Each tank is 250 gallons completely filled (500 total).
Nice trailer, Ben.

If my mental calculator is still functioning, 500 gallons being burned at 5 gallons per hour is 100 hours of flying. What's the shelf life on that Swift UL94?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Bruce,
Sorry for hijacking your thread. Ill start a new one. Didnt intend for this to go anywhere.

Dick, and others, please see new thread.
Best,
Ben Schneider
N45FT Now Flying!
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Ben, No Worries mate! That is why I am using the blog spot for recording my build; and posting what I hope to be interesting here on this forum. Your post was VERY interesting!

Hey Dane, I agree. I originally was going to use the manual with annotations and time/date stamped pictures to conical my build. But there are a few techniques/omissions that aren't described in the build manual that I wanted to post my progress here and the blogspot.

Also, I wanted to goat my buddy Max Rentz (BlueMax) in to getting back out in his shop :twisted: Though, I better tread lightly as his 6'6" and a State Trooper.

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:

Return to “Just Aircraft”