AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I varnished the last rib last night, and I let them dry over night.
The next thing I need to do is go to Lowe’s and get two tanks of Propane for the heater. The weather is suppose to get really cold hear today, it is 28 degrees today, an is suppose to be below freezing the next 4 days. I need to clean of the work table so I can assemble the Vertical Stabilizer & Rudder on the table and position all of the ribs in place for bonding then put my heat box over all of it on the table. I plan on firing up the heater to get the temp up a bit, I think I’ll fire up the 175,000 BYU propane heater along with the patio heater. Then prop the heat box up and start bonding ribs in place. Once I have half of the ribs in place I will gently set the heat box over the tail feathers, check the ribs to assure nothing has moved, turn on the lamps, close the box and head home to let them cure.
Tuesday through Thursday I’ll be driving down to Waco, to visit with my 3 brothers and Sister for the Holidays. It’s a personal requirement, my sister has Bone Cancer, one of my brothers is fighting Kidney Cancer. And visiting them is the priority.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Happy New Year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

moving2time wrote: How are you planning on building the tail support wires?

The plywood ribs look like a lot of work and it also looks like the weight is building up.

Didn't I read something about Just offering a flying tail for the SS XL? How are they doing it? I don't believe I have ever seen one. Anyone got a photo? Joe B
Movin2time,
Sorry for missing your questions See the attached photo. Chris is planning on welding in longer support wire mounting tubes very much like in the photo. I will admit the ribs have been a lot of work. In weighing the ribs and parts the calculations are showing 13 lbs for the tail ribs. Chris Wallen said it was good, that when they build the XLs they need to historically add 9 lbs of lead in the tail to get the weight & balance in. He said he will not need to add the lead. Also the tail in the Oratex like Yoga Pants is the “flying” tail the factory offers, the option cost $2000. See the below photo from BDA’s Yoga Pants thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Just thought I would point out that the stabilizer in the picture is upside down. So larger airfoil is down when flying.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

OK, I see the tabs in this photo. I guess that is why they leave the outer end of the horizontal stab flat so the tabs work. Paul, your ribs go all the way out to the end of the horizontal stab. Building in a tab that will support the tension of the wires without bending in the rib at that station is going to be a tricky detail. Perhaps you can extend the tabs out at the appropriate angle and build in a fabric plate to support the covering around the tab. You loo very capable, you will figure something appropriate out. Looking very nice so far. Good luck. Joe B
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

moving2time wrote:OK, I see the tabs in this photo. I guess that is why they leave the outer end of the horizontal stab flat so the tabs work. Paul, your ribs go all the way out to the end of the horizontal stab. Building in a tab that will support the tension of the wires without bending in the rib at that station is going to be a tricky detail. Perhaps you can extend the tabs out at the appropriate angle and build in a fabric plate to support the covering around the tab. You loo very capable, you will figure something appropriate out. Looking very nice so far. Good luck. Joe B
Joe B

I used another photo from BDA’s Yoga Oants thread.
The 2 vertical steel tubing circled in red are the Cable mount bushings.
The 3 flat tabs circled in yellow are the Air Dam mounting tabs.
If you look at the leading edge of the factory vertical stabilizer it is straight, then if you look at my Vertical Stabilizer it is swept back. I preferred the swept back vertical stabilizer it was more estheticaly pleasing to me, and to have a true airfoil it needs to extend through the Elevator & Rudder. I also did not care for the excessive scalloping the factory design has, that is why I’m adding the leading edge cuff. I will not attach the leading edge cuffs until after Chris has welded in new mounting tubing for the Cable Mounting. If you double click on the selected photo you should be able to enlarge it, to better view the photo.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I took a few days off to go visit my brothers and sister. It was a good time to take a break it was a little too cold to be working at the airport and it wouldn’t be possible to get the epoxy to cure at 21 to 29 degrees. Today is suppose to get up to the 50s so I am going to start bonding the ribs in place.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

01/05/2018 Friday - I talked with Chris Wallen and we discussed the number of Meters of Material that will be needed to cover. BDP recommended 32 Meters, and Oratex Recommended 40 m. I am planning on lining the baggage compartment, and did some calculations and came up with 40.53 m. I have called Paul Mills at Oratex, and am currently waiting for a Call to order Oratex Silver. After seeing an OD Green & Yellow, and talking to someone with Silver Oratex, I learned the Silver & OD Green are not as Translucent as the Yellow & the red. At first I was leaning towards using the stock material because I did not care for the Translucency of the fabric. However, I decided the plane needed to go on a diet, and according to Oratex it can save 20 to 25 pounds. In looking at the colors available "SheepdogRD' commented, -"Yep, add me on the list for purple. And maybe silver instead of light gray?" So after looking at the Color samples I have decided on Silver as the base color, with a black swish stripe. Now to nail down the accent color: Blue, Maroon/Burgundy, or Plum Crazy Purple??

I got back out to the airport yesterday, it got up to 60 Degrees Fahrenheit. I sanded the Vertical Stabilizer & the Rudder marked where each of the ribs would be positioned and then bonded in the top three ribs. I'll need to take a photo of this. and post it later. I should finish installing all of the ribs I can prior to welding in the Cable Strut Bushings.

In talking to Chris Wallen he is going to pick up my kit Tuesday, so I am planning on driving to Travelers Rest SC to assist him in loading and moving the kit. I am also going to take the Tail feather back for him to weld in the Cable Strut Bushings. Then I can ferry them back home to finish the leading edges & hinge interfaces.
AV8R Paul
mikepliske

Post by mikepliske »

does the heavier Oratex 6000 still have a 'translucent' look?
or is it just the lighter version (600)?
thanks,
Mike
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

mikepliske wrote:does the heavier Oratex 6000 still have a 'translucent' look?
thanks,
Mike
Crud, I was planning on checking that today, and I forgot. I’ll look at it in the sunlight tomorrow. I’m guessing the silver is not very translucent. However, I’ll post tomorrow. All of the ribs in the Vertical Stabilizer and Rudder. Let them cure and then pack them to transport to Travelers Rest.
AV8R Paul
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Silver 6000 Oratex is not translucent
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

mikepliske wrote:does the heavier Oratex 6000 still have a 'translucent' look?
thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike, call me this week. I have samples of OD 6000/ cub yellow / and Fokker 600.

I hope you're making 200% Holiday Pay!

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well, it is raining Cats & Dogs. I went to the airport to pack for a short drive to Travelers Rest SC. I’ll be visiting with Chris, dropping off the instrument panel, floor boards, get some welding done, and fit the Horizontal & Vertical Stabilizer to the fushelage.

I checked the translucency of the Oratex Material. Although I didn’t have any sunlight I had a flood light. I held up the 4 sample colors I had: red, white, blue and silver to the flood light. Without a doubt the Blue was the least, and white the most opacity. In order from most translucent to tge least: white, red, silver, then blue. I’m glad my wife picked the silver, I wouldn’t have cared for the white. Both the Blue & the Silver are very similar to other materials.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well, I just sent Paul Mills of A Better Aircraft Fabric, aka Oratex a check. So I’ll be flying an Oratex covered SuperSTOL. Since I got Silver the idea of Blue is completely canned. I don’t want a Dallas Cowboy color scheme, I’m not a football fan. I haven’t watched a game over the last 10 years. It’s either Maroon or Plum Crazy Purple.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’m driving to Travelers Rest SC, I got a Text from Chris, he said my kit made it safely from Walhalla.
Well get to fit the tail feathers to the fuselage and get the bushings welded in.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”