AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

I decided to go to the Airport, I de-trashed the leading edge cuff. The lay up resulted in one of the nicest lay ups I’ve ever done. I had gone to the airport last night to turn off the pump, and set up the curing heat box. I used a flood light inside the box to provide heat. I also cut out the carbon fiber, peel ply, bleeder sheet, and absorption fabric for the other side of the Horizontal Stabilizer. As soon as the weather gets a little warmer, I’ll do the lay up. 2 hours

It was still in the low 20s today, when I went to the airport it was 23 degrees going and coming home.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

That's cold. Can't wait to see some pics of the finished cuff.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

A busy week

01/13/2018 Saturday Elevator pilot side mixed and applied Aeropoxy Lite to smooth the hinge interface. Fixed the vacuum pump so I can vacuum bags the leading edges & hinge interface parts. 6.0 hours

01/14/2018 Sunday Elevator pilot side flipped it over and do the other side, mix and apply Aeropoxy Lite to smooth the hinge interface.

01/15/18 Tuesday cut out leading edge cuff #3 - 3 layers of fiber glass, 2 layers of peal ply, 1 layers of breather material, and absorption material. Cut and install vacuum bag seal, cut and tape to glass table 2 pieces of wax paper, cut 3 mil plastic for vacuum bag. Completed lay up peal ply, 3 layers carbon, peal ply, breather, and finally absorption material. Put on bag, install suction fitting, and seal bag. Attach vacuum pump, and put heat box cover on. Place 1250 watt heater in box, let it warm up, replace heater with flood light. 4.5 hours

01/16/18 Tuesday - I drove to airport & de trash the layup. I was able to save the tape. 2.5 hours

01/18/18 Wednesday - cut out leading edge cuff #4 - 3 layers of fiber glass, 2 layers of peal ply, 1 layers of breather material, and absorption material. Cut and install vacuum bag seal, cut and tape to glass table 2 pieces of wax paper, cut 3 mil plastic for vacuum bag. Completed lay up peal ply, 3 layers carbon, peal ply, breather, and finally absorption material. Put on bag, install suction fitting, and seal bag. Attach vacuum pump, and put heat box cover on. Place 1250 watt heater in box, let it warm up, replace heater with flood light. Rough cut the leading edge cuff #3. 4.5 hour

01/19/18 Thursday - I drove to airport & de-trash the layup. I was able to save the tape. Rough cut leading edge cuff #4. Bonded in the remaining 3 ribs on the Vertical Stabilizer. Place 1250 watt heater in box, let it warm up, replace heater with flood light. 2.9 hours

01/19/18 Friday - Flip the Vertical Stabilizer, bond the other side. Bonded the one rib remaining in the Horizontal Stabilizer. 100% of the ribs are installed in the Tail feathers. I cut the 3 plus of carbon fiber, the 2 plus of peal ply, the breather & absorption material for the first of the 2 of the Vertical Stabilizer Cuff. I’ll glass it tomorrow. 6.0 hours
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I was real close to bonding the leading edge cuff on to the Horizontal Stabilizer when I realized I needed to install some nut plates so I could mount air dams to the Horizontal Stabilizer so the wash off from the counterbalance on the elevator doesn’t effect the control authority of the elevators. I’m sure glad I caught it before I had it installed! Luckily we have a Mill hardware distributor in the Dallas area. I got both sides installed, and then I bonded the leading edge onto the first Horizontal Stabilizer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I forgot to attach a Photo of the new welded in Strut Cable Bushing Chris installed. He also added some gussets sine the bushing is longer. I have finished one of the Leading edge Cuffs. I will go to the airport and inspect the installation, and get a photo of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Today I went and finished installing the Leading Edge Cuff on one of the Horizontal Stabilizers and started installing the Trailing Edge fairing. Tomorrow & Friday I plan on finishing the the Trailing Edge fairing, and I'll sand the Feather Lite to see what she looks like. I'll get a picture when I have one Horizontal Stabilizers completed. I must admit is very time consuming, but it's looking pretty Sweet. If I did a second one I could do it in 1/3 the time.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Finally, I have the Leading Edge installed, and am in the process of building the hinge interface on the Horizontal Stabilizer. I pinned the elevator to the Horizontal Stabilizer and checked the motion. I’m getting about 35 degrees, I made a template for the Air Dam, and it shows where 25 Degrees & 30 Degrees would be, and it allowed significantly more than 30 degrees of motion. The Leading Edge Cuff, extends back to the thickest cross section of each rib. Now to go complete the trailing edge of the Horizontal Stabilizer and to move on to the next Horizontal Stabilizer and Rudder.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I did some sanding on the leading edge. I added a layer to overlap the top and trailing edge of the hinge interface to assure the structural soundness of the hinge interface, initially it was just bonded with hysol structural epoxy. I sanded a nice radius, and then added the layer of carbon fiber.

I also finished the floor boards for the baggage area, adding the honey comb carbon fiber.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

The Horizontal Stabilizer on the pilots side is Done! I bonded the Leading Edge on the passangers Horizontal Stabilizer, and the hinge interface on to the elevator. Already on the down stroke for the passengers side.started work on the first of the two Air Dams for the Horizontal Stabilizers. I should have both complete by the end of the week Saturday or Sunday.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I completed the leading edge, on the passengers side.
I got a Text message from Chris Wallen and he’s moving along pretty nicely.
Here a a couple of pictures.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I received a few Text messages from Chris Wallen (Wallen Aircraft). He is making excellent progress. I commented to him when I finally Finish the tail feathers, and get to drive them over to him, he will be tapping his foot, telling me “What the devil have you been doing, I’ve been waiting for those so I could cover the plane.” I must admit my floor boards & instruments panel will look great. The only problem, I’m going to have to put a carpet on them to fly so when I’m at a Flyin they will look new.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Finally, I have both Horizontal Stabilizers & Elevators Leading Edge & Hinge Interfaces complete. Now on to the Vertical Stabilizer & Rudder
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Chris Wallen has been making excellent progress.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well today I have started on the Leading Edge Cuffs for the Vertical Stabilizer, and the Hinge Interface components for the Rudder. I should have the Verticle Stabilizert & Rudder completed by the end of next week.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Today I completed bonding on the leading edge cuff on the Vertical Stabilizer, I made the leading edge hinge interface for the rudder, I completed on of the air dams for the Horizontal Stabilizers. I also have sent in all of the paperwork to register my project with the FAA. It official it will be N357TX. Now to get the plane finished & flying.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”