Wing root

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
z987k
Forum Regular

Wing root

Post by z987k »

Does anyone have some examples of what they've used to close up the gap between the wing, aft of the aft spar and the turtle deck? There's a ton of lift lost and a lot of drag being created there without bringing that in to the fuselage. I'm curious what people have come up with that still comes off quick like the turtle deck does, so you can fold the wings.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Re: Wing root

Post by BucF16 »

Z987k Welcome! The surfs function works pretty well here. I just search "turtle deck filler and got this:

viewtopic.php?f=218&t=22910&p=42792&hil ... +in#p42783

Recently I've stumbled across 2 or 3 others.

Good luck
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Here are some other Pics That I took at OSH. One is an Al makeup, and the other (and what I'll utilize) has Lexan extend from the turtle deck to the flap.

Cheers
Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Builder web site:
Winston
Forum Regular

Post by Winston »

Here is mine. Not perfect but fill the gap and the turtle deck still comes off normally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
z987k
Forum Regular

Post by z987k »

Winston wrote:Here is mine. Not perfect but fill the gap and the turtle deck still comes off normally.
Is yours attached with anything but the rivets on top of the turtle deck?
Winston
Forum Regular

Post by Winston »

There is a hidden vertical flange, part of the lower surface, with 3 or 4 rivets into the side of the turtle deck. I have looked for a good photo but can't find one.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Mine have 7 screws per side, 5 on top an 2 underneath. Takes a few minutes per side to get them off. Mine are similar to a few of the other pics. Really simple to make out of aluminum, think I still have the paper templets somewhere.

Gary
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_1429.jpg
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I made mine like Gary's, but added a small bracket on the wing rib with a camlock fastener in it. The root fairings are riveted to the turtle deck from the inside, so there is only one additional camlock on each side in order to remove the deck and fairings together.
- Dan
Fairings.jpg
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Would this apply to a Superstol or only a Hylander?
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I spoke to Steve Henry about that gap. He said he makes a filler for the planes he builds but does not see any improvement in performance. He said he does it because it looks better. Anyone else have any performance data related to that filler?
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I do not have any data to prove it. - but have heard others say it makes a difference.

Aerodynamically interuption of flow at the root of the wing affects the lift over the flap, but there is alot of turbulence there anyway so I think you would have to have VGs on top of the fuselage to see much difference.
Just thinking out loud.
Will have to do some comparisons
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Back when I had to calculate aircraft performance for the A-7D (basically E6B calculations) one of the biggest factors was interference drag between the weapons. We had a book an inch thick that had all of the combinations of bombs, rockets, and such, and all of the coefficients of drag for each. It was a BIG deal. Below is a link that explains it in a way that a pilot can understand. Sorry Aero/Astro engineers. :P

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly ... rformance/

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:

Return to “Just Aircraft”